Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace engine block, or just give up now?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by goshowfamily
Hi all,

We bought a 99 Land Rover Discovery II at a public auction about 2 months ago... the engine blew up 2 blocks down the road.

After a number of conversations with family, friends and mechanics, we decided to attempt to rebuild the engine - there were no knocking noises or banging from the engine, so we assumed it was just the head gaskets...

We just found out from the machine shop that the block is warped beyond repair. Atlantic British said the factory that used to manufacture these blocks is no longer in business, and they don't have a block to sell.

Anyone know where I could get a reliable block? Or do I just cut my losses at this point and scrap it?

Thanks
If you do decide to scrap it, you might just consider parting it out. Axles/Trans alone should get you enough money to as least recoup some if not most of your costs (all depending on their condition of course).

Old 08-24-2012, 02:30 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marty & Ptschram have helped me like angels with similar situation.....They're awesome !!!!

Old 08-24-2012, 09:43 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Paul Schram isn't in the parts business anymore, unless maybe you're local. He's a Snap-on dealer now which is taking up most of his time.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:10 PM
Drifting

They helped me obtain the rebuilt UK Coscast/RPI 4.6 disco engine shipped delivered to my mechanic's shop for a lot less than what others were offering. At that moment, I was in a do or die situation. They pulled through and now my D2 is problem free.....I owe it to www.landroverforums.com and Marty & Paul....

Old 08-25-2012, 08:56 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

As I mentioned recently in another thread RoverLand has reasonably priced used complete engines: Discovery Engine - Complete

Quoted from their website: " Each Land Rover engine undergoes a rigorous inspection and preparation process, including: 1) Test running the engine prior to dismantling the truck. 2) Removing the oil pan. 3) Cleaning the oil sump pickup. 4) Checking the main bearings. 5) Re-sealing the oil pan. 6) Removing the valve covers, cleaning and inspecting the heads. 7) Replacing and re-sealing the valve covers. 8) Capping all of the air sensitive openings. 9) Pressure washing and detailing the engine.

Core Notice: No core deposit is required, if the original engine is returned to Roverlandparts.com within 30 days. Roverlandparts.com will pay all return shipping expenses. After installing the new engine, call Roverlandparts.com to arrange for pickup of the original engine. Please note, the engine must be returned in the original wooden shipping crate. Failure to return the core may void the warranty."

Your probably looking at around $3,500 tops for complete engine shipped to your area, and they have a 66% discount on fedex freight shipping charges. If I were you and I personally had the needed tools and know how, then I'd buy one of these engines and take this route. But it all depends on how much you love your Disco - is it worth saving? Are you a enthusiast? Etc.

I've seen used engines for sale from junkyards and part out trucks for cheaper but most are not inspected and serviced and detailed, nor do they come with a 90 day warrantie like roverlandparts.com so in the long run this may be your best option if you decide to keep your disco.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:27 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by antichrist
Paul Schram isn't in the parts business anymore, unless maybe you're local. He's a Snap-on dealer now which is taking up most of his time.
I didn't know that. Who do I buy DI and DII parts from now, I don't know who Marty is.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:33 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by oilspotLR
I didn't know that. Who do I buy DI and DII parts from now, I don't know who Marty is.
Paul Grant at Classic Rovers in CT. Very good to deal with!

Old 05-08-2020, 07:35 AM
5th Gear
Default Heads

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Send me your number and I'll be glad to call and walk you thru what your options are, there are some good used engines available.
Disco mike I have a question for you? So my both my head's I believe are warped. My engine has never overheated but warp is due to where my gaskets were blown... Blown in outer side both sides of heads. What are my chances that my block would be warped? I don't want to take my head's in to be resurfaced if the block is warped to. I don't have money to get that resurfaced 😭

Old 05-08-2020, 08:56 AM
Mudding
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

He's not around anymore. This thread is 8 years old. When you say the outside are you talking about the exhaust or intake side or the ends of the heads? There is a water passageway on the ends and the composite gaskets blow there like it's nothing because it is so thin between the end of the head and the passageway. Sounds like you just have blown gaskets.

Old 05-08-2020, 01:29 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,430 Likes on 1,019 Posts

Less than 20% chance block is warped, check it with a straightedge.

Quick Reply: Replace engine block, or just give up now?