Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace the front double cardan with a single cardan?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 02:07 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace the front double cardan with a single cardan?

The front propshaft is gone and since in Brazil I cannot find an oem replacement, went to a propshaft shop and they told me they can install one from a 300tdi Defender.

I ve been reading mixed opinions if I can get rid of the double cardan and put a simple one.

What do you think?

Old 11-14-2015, 04:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by fellipe
The front propshaft is gone and since in Brazil I cannot find an oem replacement, went to a propshaft shop and they told me they can install one from a 300tdi Defender.

I ve been reading mixed opinions if I can get rid of the double cardan and put a simple one.

What do you think?
I would say you'll be fine if you plan to keep your Disco on-road (No off-road). Off-road articulation begs for a double cardon. With on-road driving your driveshaft should not be subjected to severe geometric angles.

Someone correct me if I am mislead, but you will be fine.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:11 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by coors
I would say you'll be fine if you plan to keep your Disco on-road (No off-road). Off-road articulation begs for a double cardon. With on-road driving your driveshaft should not be subjected to severe geometric angles.

Someone correct me if I am mislead, but you will be fine.
Thanks coors

I guess I should have said that my disco has a 2" lift

Also, although I don't do any extreme off road, I do some green laning...

Old 11-14-2015, 07:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 967 Likes on 644 Posts

Personally I wouldn't risk it with the lift, especially since she's not strictly a pavement queen.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

I guess I should have said that my disco has a 2" lift
Now knowing this new info; the single cardan will eventually fail. I would source a double cardan and park the DII until you can find one.

Do you have CDL? You can you pull the shaft (until the double cardan arrives) and drive around w/ the CDL locked.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:56 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

A new and improved shaft is approx. 250us and if shipping be the same amount. That still a lot less than the 750us your going to pay for an nos shaft if you find one.

Originally Posted by coors
Now knowing this new info; the single cardan will eventually fail. I would source a double cardan and park the DII until you can find one.

Do you have CDL? You can you pull the shaft (until the double cardan arrives) and drive around w/ the CDL locked.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:01 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by drowssap
A new and improved shaft is approx. 250us and if shipping be the same amount. That still a lot less than the 750us your going to pay for an nos shaft if you find one.
What is a nos shaft?

I can get a single joint cardan for my disco built for usd 150 here in Brazil.

If I need to import the price will double due to taxes. So that 250 shaft (never saw this price, all were above 300) plus 200 shipping plus 250 taxes will be usd700

Old 11-14-2015, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Welcome to Lucky8 Parts Club

Click on the service and repair parts (left side) once it loads there should be a big banner ad at the top for a replacement DII driveshaft for $228.00

Old 11-15-2015, 12:07 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Welcome to Lucky8 Parts Club

Click on the service and repair parts (left side) once it loads there should be a big banner ad at the top for a replacement DII driveshaft for $228.00
Does this propshaft have good reviews? I need to so it right at one shot as I wont be able to return it

Old 11-15-2015, 12:10 AM
Drifting

Does this propshaft have good reviews? I need to so it right at one shot as I wont be able to return it
Also, what's the worst that could happen if I fit the single propshaft in my disco? Will it damage my car?

I wonder if it could be an inexpensive temporary solution...

Quick Reply: Replace the front double cardan with a single cardan?