Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace the front double cardan with a single cardan?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 07:07 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fellipe
Also, what's the worst that could happen if I fit the single propshaft in my disco? Will it damage my car?

I wonder if it could be an inexpensive temporary solution...
How about the ProShaft LLC?

Old 11-15-2015, 10:31 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

The worst thing would the shaft binds and breaks punching a hole in you transmission.

Proshaft is also a good company

Originally Posted by fellipe
How about the ProShaft LLC?

Old 11-15-2015, 10:51 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by drowssap
The worst thing would the shaft binds and breaks punching a hole in you transmission.

Proshaft is also a good company
Did it actually happened with someone? I ask this because it's starting to sound like something that's been passed across over the forums... I talked to a mechanic and he also said I will be okay. There're many lifted defenders doing some heavy off roading with stock shafts and they are all ok. Also he said he has done that (getting rid of the double cardan) with both toyota hilux and jeep Cherokee for many years and they are all fine...

I ve read some other people that installed the defender propshaft on their disco 2 with success, even though at the same thread you can read this common advice of not doing that...

Old 11-15-2015, 02:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

We know for well, this is not a myth. Search this an any other LR forum. "Driveshaft Tweet Tweet".

The driveshaft yoke (u-joint) sits millimeters away from the catalytic converter. The radiant heat from the cat bakes grease out of the joint until dry, increasing friction and wear ultimately, resulting in catastrophic failure. At failure the joint snaps (usually under heavy load and high speed) spins violently - enter the transmission. The driveshaft spinning violently; until you bring the DII to a stop, has lost lost all balance, has no option but to reach its hand out for stability grabs ahold of the Trans for dear life leaving a nice big "inspection window" into the side of the Trans housing.

Scary, huh?

Old 11-15-2015, 02:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

The steering/suspension geometry of a DII and Defender are not equal. Therefore, a Defender driveshaft is not suitable for a longer wheelbase DII. If you don't value your Tranny, Prove me wrong...

Last edited by coors; 11-15-2015 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:57 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by coors
The steering/suspension geometry of a DII and Defender are not equal. Therefore, a Defender driveshaft is not suitable for a longer wheelbase DII. If you don't value your Tranny, Prove me wrong...
Isnt the d2 10" shorter than the defender 110??

Old 11-15-2015, 04:02 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by coors
We know for well, this is not a myth. Search this an any other LR forum. "Driveshaft Tweet Tweet".

The driveshaft yoke (u-joint) sits millimeters away from the catalytic converter. The radiant heat from the cat bakes grease out of the joint until dry, increasing friction and wear ultimately, resulting in catastrophic failure. At failure the joint snaps (usually under heavy load and high speed) spins violently - enter the transmission. The driveshaft spinning violently; until you bring the DII to a stop, has lost lost all balance, has no option but to reach its hand out for stability grabs ahold of the Trans for dear life leaving a nice big "inspection window" into the side of the Trans housing.

Scary, huh?
Please, I am playing devil's advocate but by no means I don't want my points to be confronted!!

That failure doesn't prove anything, as this can happen with a double cardan joint as well.

Isnt it an argument in favor of a simpler single cardan?

Also, My td5 didnt come with a catalytic converter.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

I would get a double cardan only because it is what originally came with the car. Also, the front axle on these cars are solid so even with normal driving, the shaft will move. I got one from Lucky 8 and I haven't had any issues with it ($250 out the door). In fact, the D2 feels a little smoother now.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,590 Likes on 1,306 Posts

I've been running the lucky8 shaft for a year and 30k miles no issues.

Use the right part be happy and not worry about it.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:35 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Front prop shaft failure could smash the side out of your transmission , exhaust or the floor if it fails at any substantial speed
Have you considered rebuilding your existing shaft with greasable joints.
3 joints, ball ang timbale would cost you about $75. A competent mechanic could do the job for you in about an hour if you are not comfortable doing it yourself

Quick Reply: Replace the front double cardan with a single cardan?