Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace the front double cardan with a single cardan?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 06:24 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

why do you think land Rover used a double cardon joint to begin with? do you think they got some type of 2 for 1 sale and figure what the hell lets try these for a change. I vote you use the defender shaft.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:28 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
why do you think land Rover used a double cardon joint to begin with? do you think they got some type of 2 for 1 sale and figure what the hell lets try these for a change. I vote you use the defender shaft.
Honestly I don't know why lr used a double cardan. It can be anything...

Maybe it is for comfort rather than reliability? Who knows

IMHO, Too much theories instead of hands-on experience...

Old 11-16-2015, 07:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Put the single cardan shaft on and go wheeling. Check back periodically with your experiences. Let's put the theories to bed. No data like real world conditions data

Old 11-16-2015, 07:02 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 852 Likes on 620 Posts

Why not just order the three u-joints and centering ball and have your prop shaft rebuilt in Brazil?

Old 11-16-2015, 07:05 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mln01
Why not just order the three u-joints and centering ball and have your prop shaft rebuilt in Brazil?
Yeah.. I plan to do that later

Old 11-16-2015, 07:13 AM
Pro Wrench

You do understand that there is more to a driveshaft than a simple rotating assembly to help propel your truck down the road? Are you familiar with angular velocity? Check it out:

CV (or Constant Velocity) joints are a class of joint which are designed to eliminate the variation in angular velocity that plagues u-joints

The simplest CV joint is simply two u-joints connected end to end, usually the center section is called an H-yoke because of its shape. In this manner, the angular velocity variations of one joint are canceled by the joint on the other end. Since there are two joints on DC the operating angle capacity of the double cardan joint is twice that of a single cardan joint.

Listen, I'm not hear to challenge you. I'm simply trying to help out a fellow enthusiast by passig on knowledge I obtained over my years.

Excellent Read:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...line-101.shtml

Last edited by coors; 11-16-2015 at 07:22 AM.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:18 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by coors
You do understand that there is more to a driveshaft than a simple rotating assembly to help propel your truck down the road? Are you familiar with angular velocity? I would say, no.

CV (or Constant Velocity) joints are a class of joint which are designed to eliminate the variation in angular velocity that plagues u-joints

The simplest CV joint is simply two u-joints connected end to end, usually the center section is called an H-yoke because of its shape. In this manner, the angular velocity variations of one joint are canceled by the joint on the other end. Since there are two joints on DC the operating angle capacity of the double cardan joint is twice that of a single cardan joint.
Thanks for your explanation coors!

I understand that a dc has twice angle capacity, but that doesn't mean a single joint angle capacity isnt enough for the d2. Is it what you're saying?

Old 11-16-2015, 07:56 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by fellipe
Thanks for your explanation coors!

I understand that a dc has twice angle capacity, but that doesn't mean a single joint angle capacity isnt enough for the d2. Is it what you're saying?
You're welcome!

My suggestion.
Give that article a good read. Then make the decision to add the Defender shaft.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:49 PM
Drifting

Just got it installed. I was worried, but no vibrations at all!

Name:  seWuset.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  89.7 KB

I will keep you guys updated.

Old 11-17-2015, 01:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 967 Likes on 644 Posts

Definitely keep us updated. That's really not that extreme of an angle I don't think. Look forward to seeing how it lasts.

Quick Reply: Replace the front double cardan with a single cardan?