Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   replace PS pump or install new seal??? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/replace-ps-pump-install-new-seal-39443/)

carpe06303 03-25-2011 01:21 PM

replace PS pump or install new seal???

2002 Disco II

My power steering fluid has drained completely from my car. Landrover quoted me $1,055.37 for parts and labor to replace the 3 hoses. I decided to try to fix it myself and purchased the hoses from roverparts.com for $169. I replaced the hoses and wala, the hoses weren't the fix, its the pump. Seems like once there is pressure in the system the fluid is leaking out of the gasket on the pump. I found a Power Steering Pump Seal for sale here (Best Parts Online Product List). My question is, is has anyone replaced the gasket and it fixed the issue? I have searched quite a bit and only found people that replace the entire pump. I would rather pay $20 for this seal kit than $300 for a pump.

swgrinnell 03-25-2011 02:10 PM

carpe06303,

Does the pump also make considerable noise when the wheel is turned, i.e. is air being sucked into the pump? I have a similar problem and would like to know how the seal replacement turns out if you decide to do it.

Bundu 03-25-2011 02:22 PM

Others have posted that they resealed the pump with RTV.
At $20 give the seal kit a shot and let us know.

carpe06303 03-28-2011 06:46 AM

It only started making noises after the PS fluid drained out. Other than that, no noised.

drowssap 03-28-2011 07:44 AM

I vote go got the $20.00 o-ring & put a thin coat of RTV on it.

swgrinnell 04-18-2011 06:21 AM

After finding your post, I decided to also give the seal kit a try. I actually only used the pump casing gasket (didn't bother with the shaft seals), and the symptoms have completely stopped. It drives like a dream now. So, yes. For $20, I would recommend it.

DiscoRover007 04-18-2011 09:23 AM

My seal was busted and I used universal gasket material and RTV and it has worked like a charm. Just do it right and tighten like hell. I also replaced the return hose with tubing and springs from autozone. Beats paying 100 bucks in hoses and whatever it is for a new gasket.

sloan74 04-18-2011 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Bundu (Post 235330)
Others have posted that they resealed the pump with RTV.
At $20 give the seal kit a shot and let us know.

I would try this first.

x2

newworld 05-06-2011 03:47 PM

power steering pump/hoses t 160k miles

i had a leak....ok...not a leak, a gusher out of the power steering pump area. it "looks" like the suction hose, but in reality it is the pump. for anyone having this problem, let me tell you my experience....i first removed the pump, and resealed it with rtv.....and did not change the suction hose, used the old one.....after about 5 minutes no whining sound, everythings seemed good...then test drive......leaking started again, not as severe as first time but the same.....removed everything again, bought a reman pump, and a new suction hose, and reinstalled everything, no leaks, all good. one note::: bleeding the power steering box is a pain......there is a trick one other member posted somewhere, and i congrat him on it, take a long piece of vacuum tubing and place it on the nipple, and the other end submerged in your full p/s reservoir.....run the engine, then lock to lock, do not need to jack up the car....it works like a charm...then tightened the nipple.

newworld 05-06-2011 03:50 PM

also for newbies to this project, the gasket is most definitely bad, but inside the pump, there are valves and it also be stuck of malfunctioning....so if you are short on time for repair, get a replacement pump it saves a lot of agravation....but if you have the time to tinkle with it and can install and remove the pump multiple times.....then by all means tinker away....but i warn those that sometimes the whining sound is due to a "bad" pump as well as a bad gasket.....so if your rig has a lot of miles it is better to change the pump and not worry about it......