Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replace PS pump or install new seal???

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 01:21 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replace PS pump or install new seal???

2002 Disco II

My power steering fluid has drained completely from my car. Landrover quoted me $1,055.37 for parts and labor to replace the 3 hoses. I decided to try to fix it myself and purchased the hoses from roverparts.com for $169. I replaced the hoses and wala, the hoses weren't the fix, its the pump. Seems like once there is pressure in the system the fluid is leaking out of the gasket on the pump. I found a Power Steering Pump Seal for sale here (Best Parts Online Product List). My question is, is has anyone replaced the gasket and it fixed the issue? I have searched quite a bit and only found people that replace the entire pump. I would rather pay $20 for this seal kit than $300 for a pump.

Last edited by carpe06303; 03-25-2011 at 01:46 PM. Reason: add yr/model
Old 03-25-2011, 02:10 PM
5th Gear

carpe06303,

Does the pump also make considerable noise when the wheel is turned, i.e. is air being sucked into the pump? I have a similar problem and would like to know how the seal replacement turns out if you decide to do it.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:22 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Others have posted that they resealed the pump with RTV.
At $20 give the seal kit a shot and let us know.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:46 AM
4th Gear

It only started making noises after the PS fluid drained out. Other than that, no noised.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:44 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I vote go got the $20.00 o-ring & put a thin coat of RTV on it.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:21 AM
5th Gear

After finding your post, I decided to also give the seal kit a try. I actually only used the pump casing gasket (didn't bother with the shaft seals), and the symptoms have completely stopped. It drives like a dream now. So, yes. For $20, I would recommend it.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

My seal was busted and I used universal gasket material and RTV and it has worked like a charm. Just do it right and tighten like hell. I also replaced the return hose with tubing and springs from autozone. Beats paying 100 bucks in hoses and whatever it is for a new gasket.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:37 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Bundu
Others have posted that they resealed the pump with RTV.
At $20 give the seal kit a shot and let us know.
I would try this first.

x2

Old 05-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default power steering pump/hoses t 160k miles

i had a leak....ok...not a leak, a gusher out of the power steering pump area. it "looks" like the suction hose, but in reality it is the pump. for anyone having this problem, let me tell you my experience....i first removed the pump, and resealed it with rtv.....and did not change the suction hose, used the old one.....after about 5 minutes no whining sound, everythings seemed good...then test drive......leaking started again, not as severe as first time but the same.....removed everything again, bought a reman pump, and a new suction hose, and reinstalled everything, no leaks, all good. one note::: bleeding the power steering box is a pain......there is a trick one other member posted somewhere, and i congrat him on it, take a long piece of vacuum tubing and place it on the nipple, and the other end submerged in your full p/s reservoir.....run the engine, then lock to lock, do not need to jack up the car....it works like a charm...then tightened the nipple.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

also for newbies to this project, the gasket is most definitely bad, but inside the pump, there are valves and it also be stuck of malfunctioning....so if you are short on time for repair, get a replacement pump it saves a lot of agravation....but if you have the time to tinkle with it and can install and remove the pump multiple times.....then by all means tinker away....but i warn those that sometimes the whining sound is due to a "bad" pump as well as a bad gasket.....so if your rig has a lot of miles it is better to change the pump and not worry about it......

Quick Reply: replace PS pump or install new seal???