Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace Wires Without Removing IM

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 09:20 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On that hard plastic line from the coolant tank....I broke mine about a month ago on the other end where it connects to the radiator. I was changing out the air filter and hit it with my wrist. As it ages, I guess it gets brittle. Per the advice of forum, I replaced the rigid platstic tube with some 5/16" heater hose. Simple fix, standard hose at any auto parts place and don't have to worry about it breaking again. The old one came off easily, but I was warned to be careful about not forcing it around the connection at the radiator side -- don't want to damage or break the nipple from the radiator.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:36 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can´t do it ... sorry, I don't remove the SAI valves and the wires could remove from the coil pack, but can't reconnect it... avoid excessive manipulation too.

Now the job is done, made in a confident service last week, here in my city (a japanese brand) and the bill is so cheap (US$ 150, removing the IM, changing gaskets, and replace the heater plate kit... got a small coolant leaking, and replace the ACE filter)... The spare parts was bougth in a specialized store in Santiago de Chile, good prices too !!

... the only problem today is the bleeder screw, broken... a warning leaking appears yesterday ... plastic screw !!! but I find the solution in this forum !

Regards!

Last edited by superdiscovery; 03-27-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:49 PM
3rd Gear

Nice writeup. The job was pretty easy, and laying across the engine with some padding under me made it pretty painless too. All knuckles are without damage, and the truck runs fine. It took me maybe and hour and a half.

The old plugs that were in there had the largest gap I have ever encountered. I only picked this truck up a few months ago, and put maybe 1000 miles on it since then. This certainly makes me wonder how long those plugs had been in there!

Old 05-01-2011, 02:06 PM
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks!

Installed new wires/plugs on my '03 DII with SAI yesterday and the information on this tread was invaluable. Thanks to all for sharing their knowledge!

That said, the job took me almost 7 hours to complete and I can't fathom how anyone could do it in less than 3. As many other members mentioned, I also had to call in my wife for assistance with a few tight spots. I'd suggest having a friendly elf on standby.

It has been several years since I did my own auto servicing, but I now understand why the LR shops charge so much for what would ordinarily be a trivial task. I was so shocked at how hard it was to change wires/plugs that I popped the hood on my Nissan to see if this horrible engine layout was just a sign of the times. The Nissan had all the ignition components easily accessible and would have required 20-30 minutes to perform the same job.

If anyone finds the LR engineers responsible for this design, please let me know and I will happily join the caning that was suggested by another post.

I was completely in love with my DII until yesterday. Now I wonder if I'll ever own another LR due to the absurd amount of effort required for routine maintenance tasks. It is quite possible that the folks who said this was easy or a 2-3 hour task are much more adept than I, but IMHO a plug/wire change should be a task that can be completed in a half hour by a college girl with minimal instruction. Maybe I'm just 'old fashioned" and expect that all vehicle owners could perform their own preventive maintenance during an occasional Saturday afternoon.

Thanks again for all of the postings and pictures to help us novices through the job!

Old 05-06-2011, 05:46 PM
8th Gear

Hello Boys, I'm a newbie here and have a new to me 2004 DII SE with secondary air. I've acquired new plug wires and IM gasket. I'd like to change the plug wires myself to save the $500+ the shop wants. Yet, after reading the posts I'm not sure how to do the job w/o pulling the IM which looks daunting. Any detailed photos available that could be sent to me? Gracias! DinoJim

Old 05-06-2011, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I just pulled the upper intake on my 99 (which does NOT have SAI), and it only took about an hour. I assume the SAI would make it harder, but if it's taking people 4 hours or more to do this job without removing the intake, then I'm thinking why go to the effort? Just remove the intake.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:23 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
I just pulled the upper intake on my 99 (which does NOT have SAI), and it only took about an hour. I assume the SAI would make it harder, but if it's taking people 4 hours or more to do this job without removing the intake, then I'm thinking why go to the effort? Just remove the intake.
Did you have to replace any gaskets to do it that way? I have SAI and have been putting this job off for too long because it looks like a PIA.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I haven't put it back together yet... I'm just troubleshooting. I think I have a bad coil... so since I'm a tightwad, and I don't have to drive this car, I'm going to swap the coils and see if my problem follows.

But to answer your question.... the only gasket involved is the one between the upper and lower intake, though it might not be a bad time to look at the throttle body heater.

Land Rover parts, spares, Land Rover accessories - Search results for err6621

Old 05-07-2011, 04:55 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by DinoJim
Hello Boys, I'm a newbie here and have a new to me 2004 DII SE with secondary air. I've acquired new plug wires and IM gasket. I'd like to change the plug wires myself to save the $500+ the shop wants. Yet, after reading the posts I'm not sure how to do the job w/o pulling the IM which looks daunting. Any detailed photos available that could be sent to me? Gracias! DinoJim
Cheers! There is absolutely NO need to remove the IM. Just get rid of the wire tube by freeing it out of the clip and moving it upwards. It wont be an *easy breesy* type exercise (largely because in either scenario you have to lay on the engine thanks to the beautiful design), but with patience and a diagram at hand you can do it with ease, I would suggest starting with the lower row on both sides.
Think it all through step by step ahead of time, making sure you have a 150% idea of where to place each wire, some people prefer to disconnect wires in some methodical way as well. Where did I see the diagram?? discoweb or here. Good luck!

PS: Sometimes the newly installed wires pop out of the coil banks after some hundred miles on them, just because they feel so, just be prepared to plug them back in. Number 4 is a bitch for that. And disconnect your battery while doing this.

Last edited by denisk; 05-07-2011 at 04:59 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:53 PM
Drifting

removed iac for step 1 and one of the bolts for the L IM was completely undone!! Is there a particular torque or anything I need to do to this bolt?

Quick Reply: Replace Wires Without Removing IM