Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced Discovery battery... now won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 03:49 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced Discovery battery... now won't start.

Hi All,

I've searched for an answer to this on this and other forums, but did not find anything that exactly fit my issue. If it has been answered already, I apologize in advance.

I have a 98 LR Discovery. I recently replaced the battery. The battery I replaced was tested and was found to be a problem.

I purchased a brand new battery, installed, all lights are strong, bells are dinging, etc. But when I try to start... nothing. There is no click or anything coming from the engine, but it does sound like some kind of relay or something by the passenger door is firing up.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the alarm. Let mepreface this by saying I have no functional alarm remotes. The 2 that I have are broken (battery holder has separated from the circuit board). I have been locking my car and arming the alarm manually by putting the key in the door.

Right now, if I lock the car, the alarm appears to arm (lights flash and blinking light on dash). When I unlock the car, the alarm appears to unarm. I have not yet reset the radio code.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, especially as this is currently my only mode of transportation.

Thanks.

John

Old 01-06-2009, 04:42 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Replaced Discovery battery... now won't start.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stage1v...icalSpider.htm
http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=86

I could be the starter is toast, tap on the starter with a hammer and then try and start the truck.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:29 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

John,
Try using your key and lock and unlock the drivers door 3 times. For some alarm issues this will get you past it.
Let us know how it goes.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:56 AM
8th Gear

Thanks for the quick replies.

Spike... I'll try the starter trick, however I've had no problems at all with my starter to this point, and it always turns over strong and consistent.

Mike... I'll try your suggestion tomorrow. I spoke with a LR dealershipin my areaand they also felt that the issue was connected to the alarm system.

I'll post the results.

John

Old 01-07-2009, 11:35 PM
8th Gear

Hi All,

We had an ice storm up here in NE CT, so I basically had to dig my LR out of a giant ice cube. I tried both rapping on the starter and unlocking the drivers side door 3 times... no good. I even reset the radio code just for the heck of it.

It's just hard for me to imagine what this is as the car was running and starting fine up until the battery died. I could tell the battery died because it did not go directly from starting fine to not starting at all. The last time I tried to start it, it turned over slower and slower until it wouldn't turn over.

Any other suggestions or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

John

Old 01-08-2009, 07:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you might just have a bad battery connection. I would clean/check the cable clamps at the battery and clean the negative cable connection at the block. Look for any signs of corrosion in the cables at the connections. I'd get some jumper cables and try jumping the new battery off another vehicle for the heck of it too, you don't lose anything by it.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Team Owner

jkid stole my thunder, I was going to sujest a bad battery cable or loose wire on the back of the alternator.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:14 PM
8th Gear

Hi All,

Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking of trying to jump the battery. Also, I did notice some rust on part of the inside of the negative connection on the battery side. I'll clean that out with some steel wool or something and will check the negative connection at the block.

This is getting to be a problem as me and my wife are down to 1 car.

Also, I have a digital volt meter and was wondering if there's anything I can test that might provide some clues at to what is going on. If so, let me know.

Thanks again for all your help. This is a great group.

John

Old 01-10-2009, 12:06 PM
8th Gear

Hi all,

Just wanted to give you an update on my issue:

My Discovery still won't start.
Put a digital voltmeter on the battery terminals and it read 12.34
Put the voltmeter on the cable after the battery connections and it reads 12.34
Tried to jump the vehicle with a portable battery charger... no change.
Tried the manual triple lock/unlock technique again... no luck.
When locking the door, the alarm seems to arm properly. When unlocking the car, thealarm seems to unarm properly.
One thing... I noticed that security light is blinking on the radio even when I've disarmed the alarm (I don't remember if this is normal). However, if I turn the key to the on position, the radio plays no problem.

I'm getting pretty desperate right now as we're coming into another work week, and we're still down to 1 car. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much.

John

Old 01-10-2009, 06:14 PM
Team Owner

Sounds like a trip to the dealer, sorry.
I have no ideas left.

Quick Reply: Replaced Discovery battery... now won't start.