Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced Radiator now another leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 04:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Replaced Radiator now another leak

ok Replaced the radiator that was bad and new hoses. not a fun job lol but now I get a leak when up to temp around the water pump drivers side. On the image it looks like it is coming from the back side of the pump area around the two left 11mm bolts. The top bolt is wet on the threads and gummy with crap and the bottom one was dry. took the pump off it looks fine and the gasket looked good. And when it leaked it was about a quart or so of coolant

Any ideas? or is my block gone?

Old 04-06-2020, 04:59 PM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

Maybe you have to remove the water 💦 pump and clean up the gasket surface and inspect than install new gasket.

The top screws on the radiator did you cut off 1/4 inch ??? If not it’s a well known place where they go in to far and crack the top and leak

Old 04-06-2020, 05:02 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
Maybe you have to remove the water 💦 pump and clean up the gasket surface and inspect than install new gasket.

The top screws on the radiator did you cut off 1/4 inch ??? If not it’s a well known place where they go in to far and crack the top and leak
cut the 11mm ones? and crack the what exactly?

Old 04-06-2020, 05:23 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

Often times it happens, if you don't check which screws came from exactly which hole you will put a screw that is 1/4" to long into the hole on the drivers side top of the radiator shroud. That being too long then punctures the plastic on top of the Rad.

Make sure you didn't do that.

Old 04-06-2020, 05:44 PM
Rock Crawling

oh yeah that I didn't there are 3 11mm bolts that are longer and they only thread into 3 specific holes on the pump. I am just trying to figure what could be totally wrong right now before I go out a spend more money. This hasn't been leaking there untill after the rad was replaced. and wasn't touched druring this other than removing the fan from of it.

Old 04-06-2020, 06:46 PM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

You replaced a leaking radiator, and the coolant system is pressurized, so it's not uncommon for new leaks to happen, because the coolant is now escaping from where ever the next weakest point is, whatever gasket or hose that is worn out from heat cycles and pressure.
The coolant leak may not be from the waterpump, but the timing cover behind it.
It is also possible that it could be dripping down from between the block and head(s), or block and lower intake manifold.
The block itself is probably fine, and coolant leaks on these old engines are normal.
Once you fix that leak, don't be suprised if a new leak starts somewhere else.

Old 04-06-2020, 06:58 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Another thread on here about similar issue. Rent the pressure test from O'reilly, pressure the system and you will find the leak.

Old 04-06-2020, 07:02 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
You replaced a leaking radiator, and the coolant system is pressurized, so it's not uncommon for new leaks to happen, because the coolant is now escaping from where ever the next weakest point is, whatever gasket or hose that is worn out from heat cycles and pressure.
The coolant leak may not be from the waterpump, but the timing cover behind it.
It is also possible that it could be dripping down from between the block and head(s), or block and lower intake manifold.
The block itself is probably fine, and coolant leaks on these old engines are normal.
Once you fix that leak, don't be suprised if a new leak starts somewhere else.
Great so a new gasket and keep a few gallons of coolant with me lol
and changing the timing cover probably a pain in the *** i bet too. and if it leaking it wont pass inspection like it is

Old 04-06-2020, 09:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 387 Likes on 293 Posts

If there’s no frame rot, I think I see another way out of this

May not be anything serious. Get the pressure and see what happens.

Old 04-11-2020, 09:45 AM
Rock Crawling

ok so looks like it is behind the timing cover where it is leaking. Now how much of a pin is it to replace that gasket? and can it be done in the driveway lol

Quick Reply: Replaced Radiator now another leak