Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement muffler

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2021, 09:21 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Replacement muffler

What is a decent muffler to go with?

Old 11-21-2021, 10:34 AM
Mudding
Received 73 Likes on 30 Posts

I have a cat back Magnaflow system that I like. Louder than stock, but I don't care. Sounds like cars of my youth. Nice tone and V8 rumble.

Old 11-21-2021, 11:47 AM
TReK
Received 557 Likes on 483 Posts

There’s a lot of varying opinion. Like H Hill, I like a good rumble, like a V8 should sound, but not every one agrees. I have a Magnaflow muffler on my P38 which I really like.

Old 11-21-2021, 12:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

I've recently become a big fan of the Flowmaster FlowFX mufflers. Not a traditional Flowmaster, more similar to the Magnaflows design. Good price, stainless steel, and has a nice deep but mellow tone. No drone. I've got them on my Tahoe as well as my Silverado, and I plan to put one on my Land Rover once I get it LS swapped (eventually).

Borla also makes a really nice muffler, but a bit more pricy. I've had the Borla ProXS on my disco a few years ago and absolutely loved it.

The classic Thrush Glass pack is hard to beat for the money. $35 last time I bought one. Decent sound and good flow.

Traditional Flowmaster 40 has a cool tone, but the drone is unbearable.

I've had Magnaflows knock offs that I wasn't a fan of, but I can't speak to a name brand Magnaflow. Never had one.

Cutting out the muffler and leaving the rear resonator in place is also a really cool sound, but fairly loud.

Cutting off the resonator and leaving the stock muffler in place is a mild upgrade for the low low cost of just putting a turn down back on the end of the pipe. Very mild.

Old 11-21-2021, 02:04 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Alex_M
I've recently become a big fan of the Flowmaster FlowFX mufflers. Not a traditional Flowmaster, more similar to the Magnaflows design. Good price, stainless steel, and has a nice deep but mellow tone. No drone. I've got them on my Tahoe as well as my Silverado, and I plan to put one on my Land Rover once I get it LS swapped (eventually).

Borla also makes a really nice muffler, but a bit more pricy. I've had the Borla ProXS on my disco a few years ago and absolutely loved it.

The classic Thrush Glass pack is hard to beat for the money. $35 last time I bought one. Decent sound and good flow.

Traditional Flowmaster 40 has a cool tone, but the drone is unbearable.

I've had Magnaflows knock offs that I wasn't a fan of, but I can't speak to a name brand Magnaflow. Never had one.

Cutting out the muffler and leaving the rear resonator in place is also a really cool sound, but fairly loud.

Cutting off the resonator and leaving the stock muffler in place is a mild upgrade for the low low cost of just putting a turn down back on the end of the pipe. Very mild.
ok but which one do magnaflow? I just wed the muffle fo now

Old 11-21-2021, 03:43 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Sorry, not exactly sure what you're asking.

Old 11-21-2021, 03:46 PM
Rock Crawling

Which magnaflow to get for it? And just the muffler only

Old 11-21-2021, 05:03 PM
TReK
Received 557 Likes on 483 Posts

I just got the muffler. I don’t remember any model other than the pipe diameter.

Old 11-21-2021, 05:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts

I like the one I purchased from Rovers North. Stainless Steel Magnaflow catback exhaust with muffler and resonator. The resonator is single tip and has a nice sound without being too loud. You can just buy either piece you need. Atlantic British sells a catback magnaflow exhaust (muffler only) that goes to a single/dual tip that I had on my previous Rover. It was loud and didn’t have a great sound in my opinion. Actually cost me a sale, the buyer did not like. Maybe we are just getting old !

Old 11-22-2021, 06:17 AM
Mudding
Received 73 Likes on 30 Posts

I did the cat back from Atlantic British when I put in the long block from AB as well. Very happy with the install, look and sound. My independent shop, Strohm Automotive, was very impressed with the construction and how well it fit my Disco.

Quick Reply: Replacement muffler