Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing ECU harness

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 07:28 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Replacing ECU harness

Hi Guys,

I am about to order a new ECU harness for my truck as I have too many patches and issues with mine. Not to mention the las person who had the engine out didn't properly reroute the harness when he re-installed it.

Any words of advice?

I am about to order the new harness from these guys Discovery Engine Wiring Harness, has anyone bought anything from them before?

Also what else should I do while i have the intake off? coil packs? injector seals?

Any words of advice would be appreciated.

Also land rover specs a couple different part numbers for the harnesses based on the year of the truck. Does anyone know what could possibly be different from say a 2003-2004 harness. The part codes also seem to be the same for an engine with or without secondary air yet they ask if you have it or not before you order your new harness.

Say I get a harness with secondary air but my truck doesn't have secondary air, can I still use that harness as they are out of stock for 2003 harness without secondary air.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:09 AM
Mudding

Ok, so question... Land rover has different part numbers for all the different years for the harness. I thought these were all the same?

Can I use the harness out of a 2004 in my 2003?

Old 02-21-2015, 10:30 AM
Mudding

Has anyone ordered anything from these guys before?

USED Engine Harness NONE LEV

It looks like a really nice clean used harness or a brand new one. not sure yet.

also they refer to the part being compatible with a non LEV motor. You think they are referring to non-secondary air?

Old 02-21-2015, 10:34 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

There are SEVERAL harnesses for different years/models/ trims.

I would say good luck! There is an amazing amount of work involved with the wiring on a D2.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:04 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
There are SEVERAL harnesses for different years/models/ trims.

I would say good luck! There is an amazing amount of work involved with the wiring on a D2.
I realize the intake has to come off and some other hard to reach area's. Is there something I am missing?

I realize the part number changed from year to year but did the harness actually change? Were just talking about engine harness, are there any sensors or plug in components that are not interchangeable on the D2 engine harness?

Old 03-06-2015, 05:37 PM
Mudding

Well I bit the bullet and ordered a brand new harness from the local dealer. They said it would be 4-10 weeks for it to come in from England. Any words of advice of other things to look at or replace while I am doing this job would be appreciated.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

good grief what did they want for that? 1200?

Old 03-07-2015, 05:27 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by ralphobell
good grief what did they want for that? 1200?
Well I found a few different places online that wanted anywhere from 1000-1400 USD.

I e-mailed AB and they gave me the best price in the states of 900USD plus shipping and so on. This being said I live in Canada and our dollar isn't doing so good right now so that 900USD would have been a lot more plus shipping, brokerage and duty.

Since I work for a local Nissan dealer I called up the LR dealer that we use from time to time when we needs dealer only parts for some of our used cars. they managed to sell it to me for $875 CDN + tax shipped.

Although I am not thrilled of spending that much money on a wiring harness, I ended up getting a half decent deal. Hopefully this resolves my issues...

Old 03-07-2015, 07:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

AHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, Dude I have piles of them.
I would have gave you one. You paid more for a bunch of wires than I did for my last 2 discovery's combined.

Originally Posted by me6067

Although I am not thrilled of spending that much money on a wiring harness, I ended up getting a half decent deal. Hopefully this resolves my issues...
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAA

Old 03-07-2015, 08:33 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by RoverMasterTech
AHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, Dude I have piles of them.
I would have gave you one. You paid more for a bunch of wires than I did for my last 2 discovery's

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAA

Thanks for your generous offer, I will keep you in mind if I end up having to swap out any other harnesses. I wish I could have a parts truck as I would save a pile of cash but I would have nowhere to put it.

For all those who are interested in knowing. The harness for trucks with and without secondary air are different and are non interchangeable as truck with secondary air uses a leak detection pump and non secondary air trucks use a fuel tank pressure sensor. I looked long and hard online for a wiring harness that was used for my truck but almost all were for secondary air trucks and the part numbers also vary from year to year. Not sure if there are any differences but if I am going through the trouble of changing it I rather make sure I have the original match.

Quick Reply: Replacing ECU harness