Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing leaking head gaskets - what does my mechanic need to cover?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 07:40 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing leaking head gaskets - what does my mechanic need to cover?

My head gaskets are leaking and the Rover Repair Shop in Norcross, GA is going to do the repair. I'm hoping that I can get some expert advice on what to have done other than replacing the gaskets.

My '04 Discovery has 89k miles and has never had a major service. The ignition wires were replaced earlier this year. What parts do I need to make sure get replaced, and do I need to specify any particular brands? Valve stem seals? Machine the heads?

My appointment at the shop is Thursday, and I want to be prepared when I show up. This kind of repair is way over my head. Many thanks in advance for your help!

Old 09-20-2011, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Valve stem seals should be done while heads are off. They need to check heads for "flatness" and have machine shop work them if needed. In some cases the mechanic outsources the heads to the machine shop, and they plane if needed and do the valve stem seals, clean up valves, etc. They come back looking great. Mechanic SHOULD know that the head bolts are stretch type so he will need new bolts. The flatness / shaving is to remove any warpage.

About time for a water pump, will probably just add the part and about 1 hour of time. Replace gasket for throttle body heater (warm water from engine goes in/out). Flush radiator, new coolant, new thermostat, new hoses, new serpantine belt. While these things may not have failed at this point, you simply reset them to showroom condition and worry about traffic on I-85.

How was it determined that or where they are leaking?

I used to live in that area, back when Indian Trail was a dirt road from the expressway to Lilburn..... my how things have changed.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:08 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the input, Buzz. It's been leaking coolant for months now, and seems to be progressing. I haven't allowed it to overheat, but I couldn't find a source for the leak so I took it to LR Gwinnett (used to work there) and was told that both head gaskets were leaking.

I moved to ATL in '85 when Pleasant Hill was a 2-laner from Stone Mountain to Gwinnett Mall. My wife grew up in Gwinnett and told me stories about Indian Trail being a dirt road, too. Now it's 4+1 lanes, and my office is a few blocks from there.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much are they asking to replace the head gaskets?..if you don't mind me asking

Old 09-21-2011, 05:00 PM
Drifting

$2600, including tax. They are going to do a valve job and deck the heads, change ALL gaskets, water pump, thermostat, and de-icer.

Old 05-31-2024, 11:14 PM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Still working?

[QUOTE=Savannah Buzz;269129]Valve stem seals should be done while heads are off. They need to check heads for "flatness" and have machine shop work them if needed. In some cases the mechanic outsources the heads to the machine shop, and they plane if needed and do the valve stem seals, clean up valves, etc. They come back looking great. Mechanic SHOULD know that the head bolts are stretch type so he will need new bolts. The flatness / shaving is to remove any warpage.

About time for a water pump, will probably just add the part and about 1 hour of time. Replace gasket for throttle body heater (warm water from engine goes in/out). Flush radiator, new coolant, new thermostat, new hoses, new serpantine belt. While these things may not have failed at this point, you simply reset them to showroom condition and worry about traffic on I-85.

I used to live in that area, back when Indian Trail was a dirt road from the expressway to Lilburn..... my how things have changed.[/QUOT
Im in SC and want to ask if you're still working. I need someone knowledgeable to fix my 2010 RR sport SC. I was told I need valve cover gasket, and that's all they said they're repairing. I was told after replacing shocks and brakes but not told after oil change 2 months ago, that it was leaking...

Old 06-01-2024, 10:27 AM
TReK
Received 556 Likes on 482 Posts

You’re in the Discovery 2 section of this forum. There is a section for your year of Range Rover

Old 06-01-2024, 06:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

[QUOTE=Belchergirl2;900501]
Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Valve stem seals should be done while heads are off. They need to check heads for "flatness" and have machine shop work them if needed. In some cases the mechanic outsources the heads to the machine shop, and they plane if needed and do the valve stem seals, clean up valves, etc. They come back looking great. Mechanic SHOULD know that the head bolts are stretch type so he will need new bolts. The flatness / shaving is to remove any warpage.

I used to live in that area, back when Indian Trail was a dirt road from the expressway to Lilburn..... my how things have changed.[/QUOT
Im in SC and want to ask if you're still working. I need someone knowledgeable to fix my 2010 RR sport SC. I was told I need valve cover gasket, and that's all they said they're repairing. I was told after replacing shocks and brakes but not told after oil change 2 months ago, that it was leaking...
If you are west of Columbia in SC suggest you take it to Eurover in Greenville.

Old 06-01-2024, 06:26 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke
$2600, including tax. They are going to do a valve job and deck the heads, change ALL gaskets, water pump, thermostat, and de-icer.
Suggest you read the sticky at the top of the forum on the PCV mod, inline thermostat mod, and consider the coil relocation mod during this process. If you can get comfortable running the truck with an unpressurized cooling system as detailed here: https://extinctmotorsports.com/the-e...s-10-min-read/ then you do not need to replace all the hoses, tank, and radiator but if you ARE going to run pressurized then I suggest you replace all of those, every last one of them. I would have them check all the idler pulleys but those are an easy DIY replacement (litterally one bolt) and you can hear it coming. Has the front driveshaft been confirmed as greasable and it is removed and greased every oil change?

Old 06-02-2024, 07:47 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
and it is removed and greased every oil change?
Why REMOVED and greased?

Quick Reply: Replacing leaking head gaskets - what does my mechanic need to cover?