Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing my engine...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 09:10 AM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CollieRover
Have you considered an LS Swap? There is a shop in Ohio doing them. I like the 4.6, but an LS would be sweet.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ne-swap-82431/
I was curious about this as well. Seems the price range will be similar.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by CollieRover
Have you considered an LS Swap? There is a shop in Ohio doing them. I like the 4.6, but an LS would be sweet.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ne-swap-82431/
I didn't really consider that. I can get the long block from Turner in about a week or so, and the Rover specific indie shop I use can get the swap done as soon as the motor arrives. I didn't even consider shipping the Disco out of state. From everything I've read, the Turner motor should cure all the problems with the stock 4.6. The cam and flowed heads should give it a little bit better drivability. My Disco should be pretty well sorted after this. My interior is excellent, including a custom black headliner and new shift / brake boots. Paint and body is great. It's Chawton white with Tundra grey interior....not many like it that I've seen. If it wasn't a keeper before, it sure as hell is now!

Old 05-23-2017, 10:53 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by dtmbinb
I didn't really consider that. I can get the long block from Turner in about a week or so, and the Rover specific indie shop I use can get the swap done as soon as the motor arrives. I didn't even consider shipping the Disco out of state. From everything I've read, the Turner motor should cure all the problems with the stock 4.6. The cam and flowed heads should give it a little bit better drivability. My Disco should be pretty well sorted after this. My interior is excellent, including a custom black headliner and new shift / brake boots. Paint and body is great. It's Chawton white with Tundra grey interior....not many like it that I've seen. If it wasn't a keeper before, it sure as hell is now!
I have the Turner, big upgrade, but I would be lying to you if I told you I don't pine for a 350 or more powerful engine. It would be nice to have that power for towing. I towed a i haul with mine and it didn't like it one bit. Also, with the changing of oil additives pur engines are high maintenance.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:58 PM
Rock Crawling

Well, Turner long block with Kent cam and gas flowed heads is ordered. Ordered all new hoses, radiator, reservoir with cap, gaskets, water pump, front cover, coils, plugs, wires, motor mounts, sensors, belt, pulleys, tensioner, etc. $1100 in parts to accompany the new engine. Should have a reliable truck back on the road in a few weeks. If I have to do anything other than fluid changes or brakes over the next 60,000 miles, I'll be very surprised. This fiasco with the cracked block has set me back around $10k. I plan on keeping the Disco long term, so I figured I'd do a proper refurb. I'll keep my progress and results updated....

Old 06-01-2017, 07:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Well, Turner long block with Kent cam and gas flowed heads is ordered. Ordered all new hoses, radiator, reservoir with cap, gaskets, water pump, front cover, coils, plugs, wires, motor mounts, sensors, belt, pulleys, tensioner, etc. $1100 in parts to accompany the new engine. Should have a reliable truck back on the road in a few weeks. If I have to do anything other than fluid changes or brakes over the next 60,000 miles, I'll be very surprised. This fiasco with the cracked block has set me back around $10k. I plan on keeping the Disco long term, so I figured I'd do a proper refurb. I'll keep my progress and results updated....
Looking forward to hearing how this turns out! Should be great!

Old 06-01-2017, 07:43 PM

Congratulations! The Turner engine I put in mine really kicked off my addiction. Would love to see pics and a report when you get done.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Definitely need some engine **** from this fiasco. Sorry you ended up taking the hit, but hopefully it get shinier from here on out.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:53 PM

I am mostly excited to hear about those gas flowed cylinder heads.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:04 PM
Rock Crawling

I'm getting excited for this project. I really hope it goes smoothly. I can't wait to fire up the new engine!

Old 06-02-2017, 08:01 PM

I'm getting excited for this project. I really hope it goes smoothly. I can't wait to fire up the new engine!
when I started driving my new engine it felt "tight" for lack of a better term. The difference was noticeable to say the least. I have the H180 cams not the gas flowed headers. I regret not getting those, but I had to go with the short block as I just had my heads redecked.

Quick Reply: Replacing my engine...