Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing oxygen sensors...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 12:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Well personally I don't find the O2's to be that big of a task anymore since I'm used to doing it. But it may also have to do with the fact that I have a 2-3 inch lift now so everything is easier. Seriously though use a liquid wrench if they haven't been changed in a while. You don't need a special tool, just a 7/8th's wrench(i believe) and some stank(muscle).

Cutting the rear O2 wires makes it easier if they are still wired through the frame.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Started the Intake removal...

Well, finally was able to get on with the intake removal per RAVE CD. Ran into a problem when I got to the SAI valve removal - when I tried to unscrew the union nut, the corrugated piping was twisting with the nut. Before breaking the pipe, I stopped.

Any advice? I have read that there is a smaller nut behind the union nut that I can hold while turning the nut, but seems the pipe just still turns with it...

Also, the RAVE manual does not mention the hard piped Heater connection clamp that also needs to be removed for the SAI can come off those two passenger side bolts on intake manifold...

Any advice? I called a local Indy Land Rover guy and he wants $1200 to do the work....

Old 03-20-2012, 08:46 PM
4th Gear

Would O2 sensors cause white to gray exhaust to come from the tail pipe? I just had two replaced. Check engine light came on again after.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Mm probably not buddy. What were your codes and how many miles on the truck? When was the last time head gaskets were replaced if at all? Are you losing coolant?

Old 03-21-2012, 11:21 AM
4th Gear
Default O2 sensors

Not sure of the codes. Was told I needed a new head gasket but that it was not urgent. I fill the coolant when it starts to drop. It is a little rough on the start now as well.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:23 AM
4th Gear

The truck has 130,000 miles and the head gaskets were changed 30,000 miles ago.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle

So you were told that it needed a hg job? It's possible that maybe one was replaced and the other wasn't or the job was botched entirely.

I would stop driving the truck until you get those codes read. You are obviously misfiring which could be an internal hg leak. You say you refill the coolant until it starts to drop, have you checked it lately, just how much do you lose?

You can try pressure testing to pin point where the leaks are coming from. Also consider pulling spark plugs to see if you are getting coolant inside. White/grey smoke can be tale tell sign of a head gasket leak. Is your oil milky?

Old 03-21-2012, 04:28 PM
4th Gear

It does not drop that quickly, surprisingly. I took another look under the hood and here are the two things I noticed, but need help with:

1) I have a 2000 Disc II. There are two hoses that come out of the coolant reservoir. One goes to the radiator and the other goes nowhere? There is about 6-7 inches of plastic tubing. Is this over-flow? I noticed there is coolant all over and just underneath the reservoir. It has gotten on some wires, but not on the spark plugs. Just seems to all be one the one side.

2) Next to the reservoir, there is another tube with the exposed side "up", leading one to think that these two unmated hoses should connect as they are different widths. Without certainty, and no charts to follow, I am in your hands.

The oil is not milky. The mechanic says that the gasket was put on correctly.

Thank you for your wisdom and certainly your patience.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:05 AM
Overlanding

Todays P codes 0134,0135. Last week had new spark plugs, pulley replaced, al new hoses, taken care of 3 Amigos (bad sensor) and today codes came up P0134, 0135. I'm seeing a lot of options for ordering them that are somewhat old, looking online I notice everyone seems to have a different opinions of which ones to order. I am thinking Bosch and just curious how long a project this is going to be (full weekend, day or other and if I'd have an easier time putting it up on a lift at friend's shop. Sounds like difficult to get to otherwise. Also, I live 80 miles from the guy I trust to do work on my truck so if I don't do them myself, what are the possible things that could come up if I drive it to him. Miles at ~138K and new transmission and TW drive shaft doing great after replacing almost undetectably bent flange.(vibration gone and noticed decent improvement in gas mileage after all the work. At this point I'm 5 weeks and as many thousand in so hoping to have caught everything and have a few weeks of no surprises. Gaskets were replaced at 128 or so.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:37 PM
1st Gear

what does code 1174 mean thats the only code

Quick Reply: Replacing oxygen sensors...