Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing oxygen sensors...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 09:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi John65b,
I have been reading your posts, as I have been trying to fix a reoccurring p1173 for a bad front 02 sensor. Just replaced the passengers front side with a new Bosch, I'll see if it goes away.
What program did you purchase or download from ScanTool.net LLC - Scan Tools, PC, iPhone, & Android based OBD-II (OBD2) Interfaces, OBD diagnostic software. I am interested in having something like this for my laptop. As I have a ScanguageII but it will not display live data. Only codes.
Thanks,
Dave

Old 08-07-2011, 06:31 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bought a cheap USB Scanner off ebay for $22 shipped from China and it came with Scantool.net v1.13. The download site is below, but the v1.13 is strangely absent. I had to find teh correct USB driver for it to work with win7, but eventually found it and works a charm. On my laptop its Com4 and 38400 baud.

ScanTool.net, LLC - Downloads

I think v1.20 will work with mu USB reader, if not let me know and I can email you version 1.13.

Do not get OBDwz, as its locked / useless unless you have a license.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Three Wheeling

The Long Term trim is staying at 24 - I was hoping it was high just because of the carb cleaner I was using to clean the IAC.

So, with both LTFT at 24, I am still in a Lean condition....

And the P0171 / P0174 has returned...

I have been looking for a good reason to sell it. I may have one now....

Old 08-07-2011, 02:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry If I'm hijacking but I thought I could post this here...

My SES light came on last night. I got the codes P0150 and P1174.
I have replaced that Bank 2 sensor 1 two times already this summer. Something is making it go bad. The last time I replaced it I noticed oil on the wiring harness. I cleaned it up before installing a new sensor. I also tightened the valve covers.

Would a seafoam cleaning help this? I'm about to get dirty and dig into this a little more. If it's because oil is leaking on to it, and if it's not the v/c what else could it be?

I've also noticed that anytime I have an O2 sensor issue, it's always the passenger side sensors. I don't understand that...

The valley pan gasket was recently replaced.

And if the culprit is oil, then are the sensors bad or can I just clean them and reinstall?

EDIT:
Ok I just disconnected the O2 sensor and there was definitely oil all over the connection. I guess I didn't tighten that valve cover well enough because I was able to tighten with relative ease. So I guess I'll clean both wiring connections, clear the codes, then wait and see?

Will that clear 1174 as well?

Last edited by DiscoRover007; 08-07-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the main harness where they "t", remove the bracket, peel back the shielding and rummage around the wires, maybe you have one or several shorts or jinks? i did... my solution was spreading the wires around, then leaving the clamp open and not tight, been almost 6 months without reoccurance of intermitten o2 functionality.

also, oil loves to roll down the back of the valve covers along the o2 wires and coat the connector for s1 on both sides

ps have you checked for exhuast leaks? the collector gaskets on these suck beyond suckness.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Gents (and ladies if applicable)

Not trying to be that guy but has anyone here considered that just because you have an O2 sensor codes does not mean the O2 sensor is bad.

If you have a lean condition, thas indicative of quite a few things. An injector could be clogged, you could have a vacuum leak, you could have a leak in your exhaust.
Not trying to be a douche here but alot of $$ is being spent un-necessarily on O2 sensors when something as simple as a vacuum leak is way more possible.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Well I cleared the codes but I havent driven it enough to possibly get the light to come back on. However I did let it idle and I'm not sure if it's my paranoia but I can usually tell when an O2 is out because you can feel a little bump in the idle which I did notice.

Originally Posted by dgi 07
Gents (and ladies if applicable)

Not trying to be that guy but has anyone here considered that just because you have an O2 sensor codes does not mean the O2 sensor is bad.

If you have a lean condition, thas indicative of quite a few things. An injector could be clogged, you could have a vacuum leak, you could have a leak in your exhaust.
Not trying to be a douche here but alot of $$ is being spent un-necessarily on O2 sensors when something as simple as a vacuum leak is way more possible.
How can I clean the injectors? A guy at autozone suggested that I try it but I'm always suspicious of solutions and snake oils like that.

Last edited by DiscoRover007; 08-08-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

You are missing the point.
Im not saying to clean your injectors.
Have you checked to see how much vacuum you engine is generating?
Have you checked for a leaking exhaust?
Have you checked fuel pressure.?

All these things can generate a lean condition

Old 08-08-2011, 08:38 PM
Three Wheeling

Ok. I have a question. I watch my Precat and postcat O2 sensors numbers and with new O2 sensors, they vacillate a little - watched them closely on idle and accelerations, and my sensors show the respective fuel trims now are within + / -10% (mostly around a couple %). The long term fuel trim remains at 25%.

I think it has to "learn down" the Long Term Fuel trim before the truck knows there is no lean condition.

Does this sound correct? If so, how long does it take for long term fuel trim to drop to within acceptable limits where it doesn't throw P0171 / P0174 codes?

I have not driven this truck, as I thought I could be doing some harm, but the more I think about it, I should drive it to learn down the fault....and check the LTFT after a week...

I wish I could reset the LTFT, but have heard that the stealership has the special equipment to do the adaptive reset...

Last edited by john65b; 08-08-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:53 PM
Three Wheeling

Also, aside from new O2 sensors, new plugs, new MAF, I have searched for a Vacuum leak, and have not found one. I have ran three bottles of fuel injector cleaners too. Checked the wiring harness too.

The only thing I haven't done is check the exhaust for leaks... Truck runs fine otherwise....

Quick Reply: Replacing oxygen sensors...