Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Parking Brake Cover - Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 10:08 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Replacing Parking Brake Cover - Need Help

Hi Everyone!

I am new to this forum. I purchased a parking brake cover for my 02 Disco but can't find instructions on how to change out the old worn one with a new one. Does anyone know how and can provide instructions? Or even point me somewhere to look?

Thanks!

Old 07-09-2010, 10:24 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's simple, remove the cover for the window controls that is next to the parking brake lever. Be careful, the cover is held in place by 4 plastic pins and these break easily - the cover should pop right off. Next remove the 4 screws that hold the window switch pack to the console, make sure you get all 4 of them. Lift the switch pack and move it to the side, you do not have to disconnect anything. You should now be able to unclip the parking brake cover - take note of how it is installed before pulling it out. Turn the cover inside out as you remove it from the parking brake lever, there is an O ring that holds the end in place. The install is the reverse, except first pull the new cover completely over the lever handle, start pulling it off and turn it inside out as though you are removing it, but stop when you have just enough to cover the base of the handle and put the O ring back in place. Oh and remember to put the O ring on the lever first and pull it all the way back onto the metal part so that you can pull it over the new cover later on.
Download the RAVE manual, it's going to be your best friend: http://www.landroverresource.com/

Old 07-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

There is a u-shaped spring that is glued into the console end of the cover. It wedges up behind the console, with the open part of the u-shaped spring to the bottom. Squeeze the verticle parts of the u-shaped spring together and pull the cover out from behind the edges of the console. The cover will then be connected to the parking brake. The end at the parking brake is funnel shaped with an opening that slips over the parking brake handle. There is a rubber ring that holds that end of the cover in place. It seats in a groove in the parking brake handle. Use your fingernail or a dull screwdriver blade and lift the ring out of the groove. and back towards the base of the parking brake handle. You can then work the cover off of the handle. You may need to work it a little, they tend to be tight. To put the new one back on, just reverse the process. It is easier to figure out than these instructions may indicate, kind of like tying your shoes.......

You can, but don't need to remove the window switch cover and base plate and that will give you more access to the u-shaped end of the cover.

Remember, the seam on the cover faces down.

Good luck. Phil

Old 07-14-2010, 04:06 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! Thanks, guys for your help! I have ordered the replacement cover and will work on it once it arrives.