Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing the rear wiper motor (again)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 04:36 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Replacing the rear wiper motor (again)

This is the second time my rear wiper motor has died. I was not going to bother replacing it but my wife wants it done and I need to flip over the spare carrier anyways so the back panel will be off the rear door. I was going to buy a new one but Will Tillery sold me a used 2004 motor and guaranteed it for life for $55 shipped (sure beats $175 for a new one). Supposedly he says the 2004 motors are more robust and that is why he offered me the lifetime warranty. We will see. I told my wife once this one is in to use the rear wiper sparingly. Anyhow another thumbs up for roverguy.com hopefully this will be the last time.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:33 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

The wiper motor normally doesn't have a high failure rate. Is your wife trying to wipe the rear window when the blade is frozen to the window, that is the only thing I know of that will kill them?

Old 12-11-2010, 10:05 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
The wiper motor normally doesn't have a high failure rate. Is your wife trying to wipe the rear window when the blade is frozen to the window, that is the only thing I know of that will kill them?
I disagree, from talking with will tillery and paul grant 99-02 DII rear wiper motors are prone to failure. These motors both failed in the summer.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:39 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

So, we disagree, now why not look into why they fail. If the wiper is frozen to the glass, when the wiper is turned on, the wiper won't move and the motor will continue to stay activated for a few seconds. Doing that a few times will fry the motor, so in cold weather, break the wiper free from the glass before starting the truck, just like you should with the front wipers.i

Old 04-17-2015, 06:52 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My rear wiper failed because the wire in the loom fractured where it crossed into the door. Soldering it together was a bit tricky due to space constraints, but was cheaper and easier than replacing the loom.
In my case I knew it wasn't a problem with the arm because some kind soul had removed it before I bought the car - presumably so that I wouldn't realise that the motor didn't work.
Diagnosis was obviously simple though.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

My rear wiper motor failed.

Old 04-18-2020, 09:56 PM
Drifting
Default Rear wiper motor removal.

Originally Posted by MikeP23
My rear wiper failed because the wire in the loom fractured where it crossed into the door. Soldering it together was a bit tricky due to space constraints, but was cheaper and easier than replacing the loom.
In my case I knew it wasn't a problem with the arm because some kind soul had removed it before I bought the car - presumably so that I wouldn't realise that the motor didn't work.
Diagnosis was obviously simple though.
none of you geniuses said anything about having to cut metal to get the thing out. Nice.

Old 04-18-2020, 10:00 PM
Drifting

So did anyone notice that there’s no way to take the motor out without cutting metal? Well I will. You have to cut metal to get it out.
I googled and YouTubed everywhere. No one said anything about it. It’s important for new tasks details be noted for people who look for the fix. Frustrating no one could offer a way out without it. Am I the only one?

Old 04-18-2020, 10:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 138 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Rdhilaire
So did anyone notice that there’s no way to take the motor out without cutting metal? Well I will. You have to cut metal to get it out.
I googled and YouTubed everywhere. No one said anything about it. It’s important for new tasks details be noted for people who look for the fix. Frustrating no one could offer a way out without it. Am I the only one?
It’s a pain in the *** but you can get it out and reinstall the new one without cutting the rear door.

Just be patient and work it out. Don’t get too excited once it’s out because then you need to get the new one back in though.

Old 04-19-2020, 10:29 AM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

Hope I never have to. I know my front wiper motor failed 3 times 2 years ago. Pain in the

Quick Reply: Replacing the rear wiper motor (again)