Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing 'swollen' lug nuts

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 12:25 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing 'swollen' lug nuts

Hi all,

I recently stopped at a tire establishment to have two of my tires fixed (ran over screws somewhere) and was told that my lug nuts are 'swollen'. I was told that it was a common occurrence with Land Rovers and that they need to be replaced prior to having my tires rotated. Simple fix I know but I'm wondering if any ol' type will do? I'm thinking of purchasing these:

20x Land Rover Discovery 2 Wheel Lug Nuts Part ANR3679 | eBay

thanks for your input

Old 10-09-2016, 12:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Tell the shop to check if their socket shrank instead. They may be using inches...
At my tire shop, I supply the LR stock wheel wrench or they destroy/fail to do it right.

Old 10-09-2016, 01:02 PM
Overlanding

hmm..

I was carrying a socket around with me and tried to give it to them but they said it was too big. I recently had some work done on the vehicle and I suspect that someone torqued on them and screwed them all up. So back to my original question - are all lug nuts created equal?

Thanks again

Old 10-09-2016, 10:25 PM
Overlanding

guess I'll just order them. I'm sure they're all made the same.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:07 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Swollen Nuts. Thats funny. I guess distorted nuts was already taken?

Old 10-10-2016, 03:58 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by ShaggySE7
Swollen Nuts. Thats funny. I guess distorted nuts was already taken?
Thanks for razzing the new girl. I thought perhaps i could receive a serious answer but I should have realized that guys don't work that way.

Apparently I'm not the only one that has heard this line:

https://community.cartalk.com/t/swollen-lugnuts/78188

I won't post on the forum again.

Old 10-10-2016, 04:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Pudge
Thanks for razzing the new girl. I thought perhaps i could receive a serious answer but I should have realized that guys don't work that way.

Apparently I'm not the only one that has heard this line:

https://community.cartalk.com/t/swollen-lugnuts/78188

I won't post on the forum again.
Please don't.

Old 10-10-2016, 04:41 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Yikes. Don't take things personally. I read the joke as more of a rip on the terminology that the tire jockeys used.

To that end, the correct socket to use is 1 1/6", but 27mm will be just as good. It is possible that someone used too large a socket at some point and distorted/damaged the aesthetic "shiny" cover on the lug nut. It's not so much "swelling" as it is "damaging". The LR lug nuts are actually two pieces, one is functional and holds the wheel on, and the other is shiny and looks fancy. They're effectively crimped together.

I've seen the beauty cover portion get severely damaged in the past, and it can get so bad as to require removal in order to access the functional nut underneath. I'm guessing that this is the point yours are approaching. Lucky8 has some good prices on lug nuts, but I'd be tempted to get some used ones from a local yard.

Old 10-10-2016, 05:05 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 816 Likes on 594 Posts

I have 20 good used ones I would send you for $30 plus shipping. I'm in ZIP Code 28277.

Old 10-10-2016, 06:34 PM
TReK
Received 760 Likes on 628 Posts

Many of mine are "swollen" as the OP seems to be describing. I have one of those 4-way truck tire wrenches and one socket fits over the capped nuts, while a different one fits over any which have lost theirs.
I have had to hammer the wrench onto some of the capped nuts at times, because a previous owner or workshop hasn't been kind to them. I completely understand what the OP is referring to and I think "swollen" is actually a pretty reasonable term for what has happened to them.
Solution is either to replace the nuts, or tear the shiny cover off the ones that you can't get the wrench onto.

Quick Reply: Replacing 'swollen' lug nuts