Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Require some assistance with a fault code.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 11:19 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Require some assistance with a fault code.

I purchased a 2001 Discovery II SE7 a few months ago and we absolutely love it. The Service Engine Soon Light has been staring me in the face for the past couple of days. It wasn't flashing at me so I knew I had a little time to get the codes read on it. I took it over to Auto Zone earlier today and had them hook their fancy little code reader up to it and it spit out P0455 (evap emission control system leak; large). Has anyone had any experience with this fault code? I gave the system a once over today and everything seems to be in order so I'm at a bit of a loss here. I should also add that the vehicle has not been started with out the gas cap on it since I've owned it. I would really appreciate any help that can be provided.

Thanks,
Brian

Old 04-21-2005, 11:37 AM
Overlanding
Default RE: Require some assistance with a fault code.

Well let me try to help you. I am guessing you have 50k- 60k on your car, if this is true then the Service Engine light is only a reminder to bring your car in for emisions inspection. As for the other code the P0455, this should have made your check engine light go on. Did that light go on? If not that code might be an old code that was stuck in the system. So if your car has 50k - 60k on it I would bring it in to Rover, or you can go another route you can turn it off your self. Here is the link: http://experts.about.com/q/1470/3954101.htm
Now granted I would wait untill a couple more people post replys to this message before you do anything. But you could always trun it off and if it comes back on and with that P0455 code then I would take it in.

Old 04-21-2005, 02:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it is the check engine light and not the service engine light, then you actually have a code. evap leak could ba a simple gas cap or a leak, if it is a leak in system you have to use a leak dector which will fill sys. with smoke, this can be done at a lot of dealers not just land rover. If it is a service engine soon I'd reset it if you feel safe with not taking it in the the dealer. see above post.

Old 04-21-2005, 04:58 PM
2nd Gear

It is the service engine soon light and not the check engine. I do have 62k on the Rover so I guess it could be time for an emission system check-up. That still doesn't explain the P0455 code I have. I had the person at Auto Zone reset the code and then a few days later it came back. This leads me to believe that there is a leak somewhere. Any idea how much a Stealership will charge for a leak detection test?

Thanks again,
Brian