General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

06 RRs, HDC Fault, Transmission Fault, Parking brake fault..etc etc

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 08:34 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 06 RRs, HDC Fault, Transmission Fault, Parking brake fault..etc etc

Hi Everyone,

First post here, as I found these forums after dealing with these recent problems with my temperamental bitch of a vehicle.

06 Ranger Rover sport, recently have been getting the following messages:

-HDC fault ( Special programs unavailable)
-Transmission Fault (Traction reduced)
-Parking brake fault ( To remove key...blah blah)
-Engine system fault

All of the above would happen suddenly, randomly and simultaneously, which would lead to my vehicle to unlock all doors, hazards come on(which can't be turned off), and just sometimes, actually reduced gears where I can't go past 50 k without redlining, however, most of the time I still have all available gears ( as all this has happened at high speeds as well)

I have taken it to the dealership about 5 times in the last month, and I am pretty much at my wits ends with this vehicle.

We replaced the TCM, the technician also found some poor wire splicing here and there, and told me the cause was most likely the poor/corroded connections, but the problems persist. In fact, since I picked up the vehicle the last time 2 days ago, the frequency of these warnings coming on has become literally, every few minutes. It is now back in the shop.

After reading some of the things on this forum, I have requested they first look at the brake switch, the ABS module, as that apparently can cause a cascading affect where all these faults come about.

The battery is new, the system software has been updated.

From speaking with the technician, my options(or rather, his options) at this point are:

1. Take the instrument panel out, and send it down to the states to have someone there look at the microchips to see if it is functioning and receiving, interpreting the data. (????)

2. To replace the entire wiring bundle (I forget what he called it..something harness), instead of trying to find, and identify the specific corroded wiring(which is what he thinks is causing the problem).

Neither of these options are not ideal for me, as it means plenty of more money dumped into a solution with no guarantees.

Has anyone experienced the same problem?

Are there things I can do on my own to trouble shoot and try to figure this out?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

Old 02-16-2012, 11:35 PM
6th Gear

So, it seems now that its the "Battery fuse box wire harness" ?

Gets better, the part and labor is about 4k, and even better? This part is apparently unavailable anywhere!!!

I am now being told that it could be months before they can track one of these down.

BEST. LUCK.EVER.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Start searching for junk yards and totaled RR's.
Do your research, buy the part yourself and have it installed someplace other than the dealer.

The following users liked this post:
lightning (05-23-2023)
Old 02-18-2012, 03:53 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

all right, time to get involved. its obvious whomever is working on the vehicle isn't communicating with techline. plus they should have known that after three visits for the same problem you deal with land rover engineers itself. What country are you in, what engine and what model is the rover and is it left or right hand drive helps. Depending on the information will determine course of action.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:40 PM
Mudding

whats happening is your dropping your high speed CAN network. i have ran into this issue with your particular truck a couple times. most of the time it is temperature related on warm days or so . the Instrument pack internals are creating high resistance on the board and dropping the can network. one way of checking it is to remove the Unit still plugged in and just have it laying on the drivers side vent with the car on and the air on full blast hot temp. just tap the Unit after about 30 min of it being on that should trigger the same faults your getting . if thats the case your looking into a new Cluster or if you can find some one GOOD enough to take it apart and actually test the circuit. Best of luck

Old 02-23-2012, 09:22 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
all right, time to get involved. its obvious whomever is working on the vehicle isn't communicating with techline. plus they should have known that after three visits for the same problem you deal with land rover engineers itself. What country are you in, what engine and what model is the rover and is it left or right hand drive helps. Depending on the information will determine course of action.
Hey,

What is techline?

I am pretty much at my wits end with this thing. Its an 06 sport, HSE, left hand drive, V8.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:23 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by socalrovershop
whats happening is your dropping your high speed CAN network. i have ran into this issue with your particular truck a couple times. most of the time it is temperature related on warm days or so . the Instrument pack internals are creating high resistance on the board and dropping the can network. one way of checking it is to remove the Unit still plugged in and just have it laying on the drivers side vent with the car on and the air on full blast hot temp. just tap the Unit after about 30 min of it being on that should trigger the same faults your getting . if thats the case your looking into a new Cluster or if you can find some one GOOD enough to take it apart and actually test the circuit. Best of luck
Hey,

What unit are you talking about removing? Is this something I should get the tech to do?

Old 02-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Mudding

its the instrument cluster. its the gateway to and from the CAN network. its very easy to do. Tech line is pretty much a landrover help line when the tech cant fix the car. They call and open a case. tech line then gives the tech step by step instructions on what to do and what to test . doesnt really mean they know what they are talking about either though ive had some people before that all they are doing is reading a flow chart off the screen. but they are the ones that will send out an engineer if they have to.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:45 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I changed my battery it all went away. Is the battery sized right per the specifications? LRs don't like too low of a CCA battery.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:47 PM
3rd Gear
Default Having the same %(@*$)^)$# electrical issues.

I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE. Have you resolved yours? If so, what was the solution?

Thanks,
Ted

Originally Posted by 06Range
Hi Everyone,

First post here, as I found these forums after dealing with these recent problems with my temperamental bitch of a vehicle.

06 Ranger Rover sport, recently have been getting the following messages:

-HDC fault ( Special programs unavailable)
-Transmission Fault (Traction reduced)
-Parking brake fault ( To remove key...blah blah)
-Engine system fault

All of the above would happen suddenly, randomly and simultaneously, which would lead to my vehicle to unlock all doors, hazards come on(which can't be turned off), and just sometimes, actually reduced gears where I can't go past 50 k without redlining, however, most of the time I still have all available gears ( as all this has happened at high speeds as well)

I have taken it to the dealership about 5 times in the last month, and I am pretty much at my wits ends with this vehicle.

We replaced the TCM, the technician also found some poor wire splicing here and there, and told me the cause was most likely the poor/corroded connections, but the problems persist. In fact, since I picked up the vehicle the last time 2 days ago, the frequency of these warnings coming on has become literally, every few minutes. It is now back in the shop.

After reading some of the things on this forum, I have requested they first look at the brake switch, the ABS module, as that apparently can cause a cascading affect where all these faults come about.

The battery is new, the system software has been updated.

From speaking with the technician, my options(or rather, his options) at this point are:

1. Take the instrument panel out, and send it down to the states to have someone there look at the microchips to see if it is functioning and receiving, interpreting the data. (????)

2. To replace the entire wiring bundle (I forget what he called it..something harness), instead of trying to find, and identify the specific corroded wiring(which is what he thinks is causing the problem).

Neither of these options are not ideal for me, as it means plenty of more money dumped into a solution with no guarantees.

Has anyone experienced the same problem?

Are there things I can do on my own to trouble shoot and try to figure this out?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

Quick Reply: 06 RRs, HDC Fault, Transmission Fault, Parking brake fault..etc etc