Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resonator Removed. Now what??

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 04:54 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Resonator Removed. Now what??

Hi Everybody,

So I was perusing the board today and read some posts about removing the resonator. I ended up taking it off for no other reason than I was bored and had a hack-saw. So should I just leave the exhaust without the resonator or should I put a tip on it? I was thinking about cutting the other pipe off the other side of the resonator and attaching it so the exhaust extends another foot and points towards the ground. Maybe I should have thought about that before I cut it off? Any ideas (besides not having cut it off)?

Thanks!

Old 11-24-2008, 05:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Resonator Removed. Now what??

I've been wanting to do the same thing for a few months now. Don't bother buying a tip, just cut the angled part at the end of the resonator and have it welded to the rest of the pipe. If you off road at all you don't want the fumes or heat building under the truck as you sit in one spot. I think the fumes can cause some other issues under the body too. Another option is to cut a hole in the side of the body panel and have the exhaust leave through there. It a little harder to get the hole centered though. It can also rattle if not centered or the hole is too small.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:07 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You need to extend the exhaust tip out from under the truck otherwise the exhaust will rot the underside of your truck.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:20 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just buy a tip, I had a post a while back where about 5 guys just bought a generic tip. But Like spike said make sure its long enough to get the exhust out from under the truck. I found one at Autozone for about 7 bucks. (even though its fake chrome, hahahah, it works!)

Old 11-24-2008, 05:30 PM
Winching

Disco2Guy - Do it. It took me all of 20 minutes and a hacksaw. I really like the sound. Before, my Disco was not distinctive at all, sounded like every other car. Now it has more of a growl. Nothing that would make people think you have a Borla or anything, but just enough to make a difference. It's about perfect for a daily driver.

I'll swing by AutoZone and see if they have a 2 ft long tip!

thanks!

Old 11-24-2008, 06:06 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I took mine off 5 years ago, never added an extension and probably will still. It does get a little stinky in the truck when driving up hill.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:10 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: humroot

I'll swing by AutoZone and see if they have a 2 ft long tip!

thanks!
Its doesnt even need to be that long, mine is like 6 inches and it works perfect. Basically as long as it points down your good.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to take the tip away and out from under the truck. Very dangerous because the gases can get in the cab from under the truck. A couple of years back, a guy killed his kid when he left him in the car and went in the corner store where he met a friend and chated for 15 minutes. He didn't know his exhaust had a leak under the car.!!!

Old 11-24-2008, 07:53 PM
Winching

Check it out...I went to Autozone and picked up a downward tip and a piece of pipe. Put the 2 together and clamped onto what was left of the exhaust and it is EXACTLY the same length as the old resonator. So now the exhaust is safe and I don't have a resonator. It cost me a whopping $19.18. Awesome!!

Old 11-24-2008, 08:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have part numbers for those?

Quick Reply: Resonator Removed. Now what??