Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Return of the sloshing under dash question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 08:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Return of the sloshing under dash question.

Nice of you to to post your finds for other members. I always thought it would be cool to have a sticky thread on the board listing a variety of specs. Just a thought. Keep us up to date!

Old 03-08-2007, 07:58 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question for 98roverguy or disco mike... I haven't started on this yet but I have read through the instructions in the shop manual. The shop manual calls for the A/C compressor to be removed. I know on engines in the past I have been able to remove it from the motor and hold it aside with a wire or bungee cord so the lines did not have to be removed. Is this possible on the Discovery or do I have to remove it completely? I would like to know in advance so I can stop by a shop and have them suck the 134 out. Thanks.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle

The compressor will need to be unbolted but not completly removed. Just push it to the side a bit like you said and you can squeeze in there and do what you need to do.

Old 03-11-2007, 04:02 AM
Three Wheeling

Well, I have the heads all pulled and in a box ready for the machine shop. The insides of the valve covers are coated in a nasty milky sludge. Thetops of the heads are coated in crusty burnt oil. Thebottom end on the other hand looksgreat. I also have one piston that is clean and new (from coolant and unburned fuel). I have one question... I took the ram housing off the intake manifold to get to the bolts. I left the rest of the manifold assembled (fuel rail, fuel injectors, and the air intake). With all this in place it will be tough to geta torque wrench in there to torque the intake manifold. Should I strip the intake manifold so I can use a torque wrench, or should I use a regular wrench and guess on the torque?

Old 03-11-2007, 06:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle

You will definitly want to torque your intake manifold. Break it all down and replace your injector seals too. Should be in your head gasket kit. Replace all the seals even if they are not leaking. Another thing, when you put your intake manifold the two flages front and rear that hold the intake gasket in too will need to be in place along with it before your start tighting the intake bolts. The underside of my valve covers were covered in sludge too. Engine degreaser works good at cleaning it off with some water pressure. You have torque specs, but also remember both the heads and the intake manifold require a certain sequence. I'm glad things are going great. Expect the reassembly to take twice as long as the dissasembly due to care and torque specs and all. Keep us updated! Good luck![sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 03-11-2007, 07:03 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

With all the crude on the inside of the engine I would suggest you flush your engine after it is baxk up and running so you can get all the coolant out of the bearings. I would suggest 6 qts. of ATF and let it idle for 20 minutes.
Mike

Old 03-14-2007, 05:11 PM
Three Wheeling

The gasket kit showed up yesterday and I picked the heads up from the machine shop today. The bill from the machine shop was only $100.00. He said they all checked out great on the pressure test so all they did was clean them and resurface them. I have a question about a few things now that the gasket kit is here. There wasn't a gasket for the ram housing to intake manifold or for the ram housing cover to the manifold. Should I use any silicone or just put them together without it? Also, should I have received gaskets for the exhaust manifolds to exhaust pipes? There were none in the kit and I'm wondering if there should have been. It's too late to order new ones so I guess I'll run the old ones while I wait for shipping on new ones.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I used a sealant on the ram housing contacts. It's too risky not to. I forget what it was called what I used - some silicone stuff or something but RTV will be fine. Just a very light coating not gunking it on. Glad to hear your heads cleaned up nice! You should have recieved gaskets for the exhaust manifold to heads but not for exhaust manifold to pipes. You didn't need to disconnect the pipes from the manifold, they just can hang on the side with the pipes supporting them. Keep us posted!

Old 03-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Three Wheeling

Well, I'm back up and running! It fired right up after who knows how many hours of labor. I erased the misfire code and the check engine light is gone. Thanks 98roverguy and discomike for all your help!

Old 03-19-2007, 05:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle

[sm=icon_rock.gif]