Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

River of oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 10:55 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default River of oil

This morning after my wife left for work I noticed that there was a line of oil starting from the garage out the driveway and down the street. I assume that if I were to follow it, it would lead me to my wife's work. When I noticed this, I called her and was told she barely mad it to her destination. She stated that the last block or so, it was only going about 10mph max. (Not sure why she kept going) She did not notice the leak until she got there and no lights came on.
We own a 2003 Discovery II with 80K+ on it and had the oil pan gasket and both head gaskets replaced last February. Right now she is waiting for a tow truck from a dealership to pick her up. Does anyone know what I might expect to be the problem so I can research this before I get the estimate? Thanks.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:02 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have a serious oil leak... but was it engine oil, transmission oil or gear oil?

Old 02-28-2011, 11:17 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Bundu
You have a serious oil leak... but was it engine oil, transmission oil or gear oil?
Im not sure which type of oil it is. Based on where she parks in the garage, it starts directly under the oil pan. I only know this because that is where the oil spot was before when we had the other repairs done. I am kind of hoping that it is one of the previous repairs since they are still under warranty. I know only enough to get by as far as car repair goes so I couldn't really tell what type of oil it is.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kj10
This morning after my wife left for work I noticed that there was a line of oil starting from the garage out the driveway and down the street. I assume that if I were to follow it, it would lead me to my wife's work. When I noticed this, I called her and was told she barely mad it to her destination. She stated that the last block or so, it was only going about 10mph max. (Not sure why she kept going) She did not notice the leak until she got there and no lights came on.
We own a 2003 Discovery II with 80K+ on it and had the oil pan gasket and both head gaskets replaced last February. Right now she is waiting for a tow truck from a dealership to pick her up. Does anyone know what I might expect to be the problem so I can research this before I get the estimate? Thanks.
No oil light kind of makes me scratch my head. Go out and collect some of the oil. Is it red like transmission or amber/black like motor oil? If it looks like motor oil does it smell normal or very strong (gear oil)?

Old 02-28-2011, 01:21 PM
3rd Gear

It looks like motor oil and it doesn't have any metalic smell to it.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the best is to hear what the dealership says, otherwise it is a crap shoot as to what the problem is. I'm guessing transmission based on what you said, i.e. no lights and slowed down, but that's a wild guess.