Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rocker arm direction?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2021, 01:50 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question rocker arm direction?

All right y'all. Got the 4.6 L V8 out of our 03 Disco II tore down and beginning to rebuild. My goofy *** didn't label the rocker arms (and maybe i didn't have to?). As I am resetting them back in the heads They look identical front to back and even when I flip them around. It appears that they are omni identical but before I commit to bolting it up whatever way looks best I thought I'd ask around and see what others who have done the head gaskets to see what they have to say. Is there a front and a back/left and right rocker arm or are they identical?

Old 06-26-2021, 02:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 847 Likes on 617 Posts

It would have been better to keep track of the rocker arms (L vs. R), but they are identical from the factory.

Did you keep track of where each of the pushrods were?

Old 06-26-2021, 04:19 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i thought they might be! Thanks for the quick reply:-). I did label the push rods but that seems kind of out the window now since i didn't keep track of the rocker arms... duh :-). UNLESSSSS theres a way to map the wear and see what push rods match up with what rocker arms?

Old 06-26-2021, 05:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 184 Likes on 163 Posts
Cool Two different rocker arms for D1s

I have D1s, so I apologize if this is not relevant.

There are two distinct rocker arms for the D1s, nearly the same, but the bearing pad that pushes the valve stem is offset to one side for intake and the other side for exhaust. You may want to examine them closely since
D1s and D2s share many components. The valve stem should contact near the center of the bearing pad. The D1s have two different part numbers for replacement rocker arms.

By the way, while you are there, you might want to install new rocker arms and rocker arm shaft anyway. After 100,000 miles they are probably worn out.

Old 06-27-2021, 10:02 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 425 Likes on 295 Posts

as above...and watch out for cheap rocker arm replacements with poorly centered push rod cups....get originals from england if you can.....

There is a whole method of measuring cam lift and getting the rod /lifter heights correct...(shimming the rocker arm mounts...etc...)

Old 06-28-2021, 12:14 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Seems you are talking about the whole rocker shaft assembly - and those come in only one variant, so theoretically it doesn't matter which side you put it on.
Rocker arms come in 2 variants - intake and exhaust - make sure that the rod cups are located correctly in the rocker arm (as in all your rockers measure the same depth to the oil hole - these are very poorly made, wherever you buy them) - when I was replacing mine I had to reorder a couple b/c the cup was set in too deep.
I'd recommend getting the whole rocker shaft kit either from AtlanticBritish (expensive) or Lucky8 (reasonable price).