Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rockwell N.C:Looking for the previous owner of this white 2004 Disco 2 SE7

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 06:49 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
My brief understanding was that it was a spur of the moment transaction between Mike and the previous owner of this truck. Not much else is known unfortunately.
What does it being a "spur of the moment transaction" have to do with a) Mike's ability to tell you who the former owner was b) put you in touch with him or c) at least have him ask the former owner if he'd mind being put in touch with you? He obviously knows who he is. Seems like a very simple request.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:57 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

Agreed. Also, if Mike does the title transfer to you in a dealer capacity you should get the title showing the prior owner's name. Heck, just ask Mike to send you a pic or scan of the title now.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:12 AM
Drifting

Also, while I appreciate the general idea, what do you expect to "learn about past service/maintenance done on the truck." that would be helpful at this point? You've already bought it, you're swapping the engine, and you're servicing both diffs, the transmission, and the t-case before you drive all the way back to NH, right? You are servicing all that stuff before hitting the road, aren't you?

Old 12-05-2017, 04:44 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

If all goes well Ill be heading down in 3 weeks. Just waiting to hear back from Mikes mechanic friend about a time that works best for him. Mike has been very patient so far and went out of his way to find this donor truck for me so Im not looking to keep harassing him with petty ****.

I find it very helpful to know the service history of any vehicle Im interested in, especially when its a Discovery 2. Things I care most about include: functional key fob, functional power windows and door locks, condition of the abs module, condition of the cooling system, axle shaft seals etc. Since this truck has been lifted, begs the question: Where any other upgrades installed? Axle shafts?, Breathers? etc. Was the truck used offroad? Flooded? In any accidents? etc

Time will be limited when I get down there. The main focus will be the engine and bumper swap. Ill certainly check and top off all fluids as needed but thats really all I have time/money for at the moment. I believe the truck has around 140k so I expect the transfer case and transmission will be in pretty good shape.

PS: I still dont even know what was wrong with the engine exactly. But looking at the pics those valve covers look pretty dam clean.

Last edited by TRIARII; 12-05-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:01 PM
Drifting

Mike has been very patient so far and went out of his way to find this donor truck for me so Im not looking to keep harassing him with petty ****.
Does that mean you've been harassing him with other petty ****? Because it makes no sense to go on a needle in a haystack owner search when to you could easily just ask him to answer one relevant, important question about your purchase from him. This is what he does for a living after all and is charging you money for it.

"Time will be limited when I get down there. The main focus will be the engine and bumper swap. Ill certainly check and top off all fluids as needed but thats really all I have time/money for at the moment. I believe the truck has around 140k so I expect the transfer case and transmission will be in pretty good shape."

So, you're buying a truck sight unseen, going to the time and expense to drive 1800 miles roundtrip, spend a chunk of a week down there to pay someone to do an engine swap, but you're not going to spend a couple easy hours and a few extra bucks to service the diffs, tranny, and t-case for your solo 900 mile return trip? You "expect" the t-case and tranny to be in "pretty good shape". If you don't have the extra few bucks to do something so basic, yet so important, especially under these circumstances and conditions, then it seems like you haven't thought all this through.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:11 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Vermonster909
So, you're buying a truck sight unseen, going to the time and expense to drive 1800 miles roundtrip, spend a chunk of a week down there to pay someone to do an engine swap, but you're not going to spend a couple easy hours and a few extra bucks to service the diffs, tranny, and t-case for your solo 900 mile return trip? You "expect" the t-case and tranny to be in "pretty good shape". If you don't have the extra few bucks to do something so basic, yet so important, especially under these circumstances and conditions, then it seems like you haven't thought all this through.

Time will be limited when I get down there. The main focus will be the engine and bumper swap. Ill certainly check and top off all fluids as needed but thats really all I have time/money for at the moment. I believe the truck has around 140k so I expect the transfer case and transmission will be in pretty good shape.

I think I was pretty clear.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:18 PM
Drifting

I think I was pretty clear.
Yes, I think it's pretty clear you have no idea what you're doing.

First, you have no idea how old any of the fluids are even if they're full. Second, if anything is low, that's an indication of a problem. It's an indication that there's been increased metal on metal wear for who-knows-how long. Just "topping off" does nothing for you. Penny-wise but pound stupid, to twist a phrase.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:27 PM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

And another TRIARII thread that's going to go off the rails....buckle up.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:59 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Vermonster909
Yes, I think it's pretty clear you have no idea what you're doing.

First, you have no idea how old any of the fluids are even if they're full. Second, if anything is low, that's an indication of a problem. It's an indication that there's been increased metal on metal wear for who-knows-how long. Just "topping off" does nothing for you. Penny-wise but pound stupid, to twist a phrase.
You worry too much man.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Pirate sticker?

ECU maybe

ECU Pirates Official Athletic Site

Quick Reply: Rockwell N.C:Looking for the previous owner of this white 2004 Disco 2 SE7