Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rod bearings..

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 04:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default i keep thinking that

Originally Posted by ROVERTECH15
i think all u had was an exhast leak chris,that knock/tic somtimes confuses people.if you tightened the sai nut and it went away or even got better u got nothin to worry about

I am thinking the same thing but 2 different muffler shops keep telling me i dont have a leak as you can only hear it when you are driving more than sitting. It's quiet at idel. It's really strange as when you put it in drive it's like a throaty 454..its noisy as hell. I had another rover tech look at it today and he is thinking vacume leak or maf as i pulled the camshaft code P0340. To tell you the truth, if it wheren't for beer i would be taking my M4 out there and light the truck up for some self satisfaction. I have another hunch as to why so many hoses and harness where is bad condition and missing clamps... Someone either replaced the engine or had a head gasket problem before and some clown screwed it up.. I am thinking about tracking the engine number with the vin and calling land rover to find out... Life of rover ownership...

Last edited by vandev; 04-15-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Thumbs down I'm at the end of my rope...

I think i finally reached the end of the rope today. After talking with 3 different rover mechanics, i am ready to throw in the towel. No one can figure out td5 noise. everyone tells me something different and it runs and sounds like a big pile of Sh&&%t. At idel its quiet, in drive at a stop light its noisy...well throaty..at neutral its quiet....and when applying gas its wack, wack, wack like a big pile of sh&&%t. Its like i have a extra spark plug hole with no spark plug in it..... It also seems to me it does not have the power my daughters 2000 has and hers is quiet even with a exhaust leak. What the Fu^&k. I am wits end... It it becomming clear that my only option is getting another engine... I really dont have anywhere else to go with this pile... No one seems to have the answer.... My RR 4.0 with 300,000 mile is 5 times as quiet and would run circles around this. If anyone has a last ditch idea i would love to hear it..

Thanks Chris

Old 04-16-2010, 10:39 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vandev
I think i finally reached the end of the rope today. After talking with 3 different rover mechanics, i am ready to throw in the towel. No one can figure out td5 noise. everyone tells me something different and it runs and sounds like a big pile of Sh&&%t. At idel its quiet, in drive at a stop light its noisy...well throaty..at neutral its quiet....and when applying gas its wack, wack, wack like a big pile of sh&&%t. Its like i have a extra spark plug hole with no spark plug in it..... It also seems to me it does not have the power my daughters 2000 has and hers is quiet even with a exhaust leak. What the Fu^&k. I am wits end... It it becomming clear that my only option is getting another engine... I really dont have anywhere else to go with this pile... No one seems to have the answer.... My RR 4.0 with 300,000 mile is 5 times as quiet and would run circles around this. If anyone has a last ditch idea i would love to hear it..

Thanks Chris
Jesus this is pissin' me off, too!!

You say that it is more likely to make noise in gear?
And noisey when you rev it in neutral?

(if yes, It sounds like something rotational is loose)

Does it make noise when driving under load?

You say you may suspect the engine was worked on?
Could it have been out?
Could the wad have not tightened the flexplate (torque converter mounting)?

The flexplate could be cracked, look it up in the rave cd to see if there's an inspection opening.

My DI has an insp plate on the front of the bellhousing.

You might have A TRUSTED individual sit in it idling in neutral, tape your hose to a stick, lay down and listen to the front of the trans, at neutral, in drive, and /or giving a little gas with foot on brake/parking brake on, also.

This will be resolved, please don't shoot.

luck,greg

Last edited by greg409; 04-16-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default maybe a longshot

Originally Posted by greg409
Jesus this is pissin' me off, too!!

You say that it is more likely to make noise in gear?
And noisey when you rev it in neutral?

(if yes, It sounds like something rotational is loose)

Does it make noise when driving under load?

You say you may suspect the engine was worked on?
Could it have been out?
Could the wad have not tightened the flexplate (torque converter mounting)?

The flexplate could be cracked, look it up in the rave cd to see if there's an inspection opening.

My DI has an insp plate on the front of the bellhousing.

You might have A TRUSTED individual sit in it idling in neutral, tape your hose to a stick, lay down and listen to the front of the trans, at neutral, in drive, and /or giving a little gas with foot on brake/parking brake on, also.

This will be resolved, please don't shoot.

luck,greg
Hey Greg, At idel quiet, if i rev it from the engine compartment it just about sounds normal...reving to 2500...the minute you get in the car and put in drive...it sounds like a pile. At a stoplight in D ...it has a throaty sound and it vibrates a bit more but stays at .7500...put in N... super quiet and maybe .7600 zero vibration. I tried putting it to the floor and see how long to get to say 45mph ...it seemed longer than my daughters and sounded like a real beater. When i was fixing stuff when i got it i noticed the inspection plate plug was missing and went and got one. Its a rubber cap. I am completly stumped. i even tried unplugging the maf to see if that was the problem...diddnt run any better. The camshaft sensor cant be it as it wouldnt start. When i was at the LR dealer no made mention of how it sounded...that really made me wonder...

thanks chris