Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof Rack

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 01:47 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof Rack

I need to get a roof rack for my truck ( 02 Disco II SE ). I wanted to tap into some of the experience in this forum and see what is most recommended. I have seen the ones that attach to the rain gutters , or should I justget the extension roof railsand extend the exhisting rack to the back of the truck and then get the cross bars. Any experience and sugestions are always great.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:13 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Roof Rack

What will you carry?

I have two racks one for bikes and the like then one for heavy off road things fuel cans tires.

They will all reduce mileage so the easier it comes off the better and storage.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle

What are you looking to carry on the roof? I added the extension rails and LR crossbars to my D2 for clearance in my garage, and are used to carry surfboards. The PO included a Thule roof rack but it is too tall after adding the 2" lift. The Thule rack is fine, but I like the lower profile of the LR bars too. The genuine extension rails and cross bars are expensive, but cheaper than a full expedition style roof rack. The expedition style racks are hard to come by and usually need repainting or have bent sections. They can cost around $700-$1,000 used. Your best choices are SD (Saftey Devices, no longer in busniess), Hannibal (for roof tents), or Brownchurch. The expedition style racks will also suck up 1-2 MPG. The one's I've seen for sale, pretty much nobody wants to ship the rack because of the size and cost. I've been thinking about getting a half-rack for the rear portion of the roof, but there's only one place I've seen them and I don't know if they still make them.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:51 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I use a utility trailer. I have a Yakima rack but find it hard to load things that high in the air and it is a pain in the rump to put on and take back off. The MPG difference between the trailer and the rack are about the same. Plus with the trailer you dont need to worry about clearance.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the Rovers extentions and Yakima cross bars. Work like a Charm. I keep the mounting brackerts and yakima cross bars in the back and then install them whwnever I need them on. Takes 5 minutes and I can carry 14 feet 2x6 very easily ( did that last week). I even installed an 94 inch long cargo box for skis and snowboardsin the winter and all was very well balanced since it allows you to use the whole lenght of the roof. Those extentions should have been oem.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:29 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

There are many many options out there, first consider what you are going to put up there, next consider how much you want to pay. Atlantic British (www.roverparts.com) has alot of variety with racks and cross bars. There is everything from half racks, full racks, low profile racks, genuine racks, and cross bars. Let us know if you need help finding any of these racks, alot of people on here can give you reviews of certain brands and styles.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Three Wheeling

I carry kayaks on my disco and went with the Thule crossroads. So far I really love the rack, a little high but great rack.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:33 AM
Rock Crawling

I have an ARB half rack that attaches to the rain gutters that I like a lot. Very solid and heavy duty but it sure causes the MPG to drop. Unless you do a lot of expedition-type of carrying equipment around I probably would not recommend having a roof rack as the MPG sure suffers unless you have one that is easy off and easy on. Mine is not easy on and easy off so I'm paying a lot more for gas as it's on permanently. Looks good but i'm paying for it in bad MPG.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a yakima load warrior with extensionthat I love but I am going to have to get the yakima hi-rise gutter clamps. I considered the extensions(for the luggage rack) but I have already ripped the whole damn thing of my truck when I had it clamped to the stock luggage rack. I think that the gutter clamps would have been stronger and the wire would have snapped as opposed to the rack dragging down my hood. I would reccomend something with the gutter clamps.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:42 PM
Mudding

Roverrocks, I thought that ARB Half Rack was easy to take off? What makes the mounting permanent on yours?

I'm looking at the ARB Half Rack myself, but I want one that I can install just for camping trips, etc., not something that stays on all the time.

Quick Reply: Roof Rack