Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof Rack Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof Rack Suggestions?

I know alot of ya'll have experience with roof racks on your Rovers. I have been looking for a rack to complete my Discovery and give me more space to put luggage. I was looking into a full rack with a setup for lights in the front, but dont know what's a good manufacturer for that kind of thing. Any suggestions?

Old 04-30-2009, 12:09 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Safety Devices makes a great full rack.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle

check craigslist and ebay and keep an eye out for one that way... otherwise you will have to spend a ton of money to get you a full rack... the SD racks are well over a grand.. i got lucky and mine was on one of my rovers when i bought it...

Old 04-30-2009, 12:46 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by discoinchatty
Safety Devices makes a great full rack.
They make the best, and most expensive also.

If you are doing this for looks, beware, it will cost you and easy mile and a half in gas mileage. Better really need that extra space.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:54 PM
Rock Crawling

Hey Brumski,
Do you have a DI or DII? I have 2 SD racks and don't really need the one for my DD. It is actually in my garage because I touched up a few scratches to prevent rust. If you're interested send me a pm. I can send you pictures. They are $$, but great looking racks. They follow the roofline of the car nicely and have 5 light tabs (4 in front, 1 right rear).
Cheers!

Old 04-30-2009, 03:18 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
...beware, it will cost you and easy mile and a half in gas mileage. Better really need that extra space.

Gas mileage really isn't that big of a deal right now. For some reason, I've ben getting 8-12 mpg on my DII running 89 octane. A year ago, I had better than 16 mpg. No changes, just a sudden drop. I've got the extended warranty on it, so it's going to get looked at tomorrow, cause I haven't been able to solve it.

And Fuego, Thanks for the offer! I'll get in touch with you as soon as I get ready to make the commitment of buying one. It will probably be in the early Summer because I'm gonna scrounge up all my loose change and put it towards a rack.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle

aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh NEVER RUN LOW GRADE FUEL IN A LAND ROVER!!!!

you MUST run premium fuel in these vehicles... no exceptions, no excuses...

trust me and everyone else on this board when we say this...

Old 04-30-2009, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Brumski07
Gas mileage really isn't that big of a deal right now. For some reason, I've ben getting 8-12 mpg on my DII running 89 octane. A year ago, I had better than 16 mpg. No changes, just a sudden drop. I've got the extended warranty on it, so it's going to get looked at tomorrow, cause I haven't been able to solve it.
That's a joke right? Have you never read your owner's manual or read other posts on this forum? You are probably getting that kind of gas mileage because you are supposed to run PREMIUM fuel!!!!!

Old 04-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by jycsalas
That's a joke right? Have you never read your owner's manual or read other posts on this forum? You are probably getting that kind of gas mileage because you are supposed to run PREMIUM fuel!!!!!

I know, I know. I've abused my baby by giving it insufficient octane. When gas went up, I started using 89 instead of 91. I never went back because it gave me some extra cash to spend on gas. A really bad part in my life was when I drove through northern New Mexico and all they had was 85. I ran beautifully, but a year later, I'm wanting to start putting better gas in it. I think if I got a rack, it would justify my means of putting better gas in it and getting better mileage...

Old 04-30-2009, 04:18 PM
Mudding

Altitude makes a BIG difference in octane,,,,,,the higher you go the less you need.

Quick Reply: Roof Rack Suggestions?