Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

to roto flex or not to roto flex...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 09:22 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

For those of you with 97s that have 4 u-joints, what is the production date of your truck? My truck was built March of 97 and has the u-joint at the rear diff instead of rotoflex. I'm wondering if they changed mid model year 97 from rotoflex to u-joint.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts
Cool

WELL.....my '98 DI had 129,000 miles on it when i got her a year ago..........and by all accounts the po's DID NOTHING.......and it has ujoints with no rotoflex....so I'll assume it came that way. I've been wondering if the roto flex was made to reduce some vibrations, i have one @ 50mph(goes away @ 60) that i just cant track down.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:27 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by XCELLER8
WELL.....my '98 DI had 129,000 miles on it when i got her a year ago..........and by all accounts the po's DID NOTHING.......and it has ujoints with no rotoflex....so I'll assume it came that way. I've been wondering if the roto flex was made to reduce some vibrations, i have one @ 50mph(goes away @ 60) that i just cant track down.
Have the balance on your tires checked. Driveline vibrations generally don't go away with speed, they get worse.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine was made 12/96 no records of a conversion. 1st owner was all dealer and then his son did nothing but tear it up.

Last edited by okdiscoguy; 06-02-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:50 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
chris, yeah it's made out of hard rubber. It eliminates drive line vibrations (think BMW ride component and German over engineering) I know some people on here wheel their rovers hard and haven't had a problem but when mine needs replacing I'm going with U-joints.
Dodge and Chrysler also have a rotoflex on the rear drive shaft. Not sure about the pick-up trucks but all the cars using the 300/charger platform have one. I'll also check at work later today if Jeeps do.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by AK Rover
For those of you with 97s that have 4 u-joints, what is the production date of your truck? My truck was built March of 97 and has the u-joint at the rear diff instead of rotoflex. I'm wondering if they changed mid model year 97 from rotoflex to u-joint.
see, yours was just after mine, but the LSE designation, I thought didn't start until 98. The base was LS and the upgrade was LSE. before it was SD for the base and SE for the upper. I think someone added a sticker to yours...

Old 06-02-2009, 02:27 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
see, yours was just after mine, but the LSE designation, I thought didn't start until 98. The base was LS and the upgrade was LSE. before it was SD for the base and SE for the upper. I think someone added a sticker to yours...
I thought that same thing but I have seen others with 97 LSE and saw it listed as an option somewhere. I think it was late 97 model year that they started the LSE designator as a transition into 98. From what I can tell there's no major difference between my LSE and an SE.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by grussell
My 97 has 4 U-joints. I never asked why my u-joints have grease fittings and my drive shaft has grease fittings too?
Your drive shafts have "slip" joints, it allows your driveshaft to get longer and shorter as the axles move up and down.
Most trucks, Jeeps, Chevys, etc. have this at the end where the driveshaft mates with the transmission, it just slides onto the output shaft with no bolts holding it on.
Just a couple of weeks ago I saw a guy with a Rubicon and the driveshaft was laying on the side of the road and he was standing outside the Jeep on the phone.
He lifted his Jeep and when he hit a bump the driveshaft came out of the transmission and fell onto the road.
Rover bolts everything with Loc-Tite, and I mean everything.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:16 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by AK Rover
I thought that same thing but I have seen others with 97 LSE and saw it listed as an option somewhere. I think it was late 97 model year that they started the LSE designator as a transition into 98. From what I can tell there's no major difference between my LSE and an SE.
Learn something new every day. Took me a month to figure out what SD-7 meant. I have thought about putting HSD-7 just for kicks. I need to slap some paint on her before I get to ordering decals.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 97 was made in 9/96 and it has a rotoflex. im surprised how well it has been with 4", but ill probably get it converted to u joints sometime this month.

Quick Reply: to roto flex or not to roto flex...