Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough idle, ticking sound and vibration?!?!?! What is going on?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 08:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rough idle, ticking sound and vibration?!?!?! What is going on?

I have a 1996 disco and just to day i this happned, the ticking sound is comming from the driver side, and it idles rough and vibrates. What could be the problem????

Thx

Old 03-23-2007, 09:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default RE: Rough idle, ticking sound and vibration?!?!?! What is going on?

Your cat could be failing. Any codes? You need to figure out if its coming fromwithin or below the engine.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:14 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You need to give us more information, how mechanical are you?
I would open the hood and get a better idea where the noise is coming from and get back to us, in the mean time, don't drive it.
Mike

Old 03-24-2007, 04:42 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I have a question. I'm not sure if it's similar to your problem or not, but it's worth a try. I have a 2003 Discovery. It's been making clunking noise from somewhere deep in the engine for probably about 20-25 thousand miles now. The car has 62,000 miles on it now. I have taken it in before and was told it's normal, but it's gotten worse since then. I took the car to the dealer in Dec 2006 and they kept it for 2 mos fixing what they thought was the problem. They replaced all the lifters thinking that would fix it, but the noise is actually more pronounced now than it was before they replaced the lifters. There were also two oil leaks that they fixed. I have complained on the oil disappearing before, but was told twice there was nothing wrong. Needless to say, I am sick of the dealers telling me it's fine because I was right and it wasn't fine. I am trying to find out what the problem is so I can tell them. They don't seem to be competent enough to figure it out by themselves. Anyway, I was told to wait until the noise gets really bad and then take it in. The rep at the dealer said the extended warranty will most likely replace my engine then. However, I am sick and tired of driving a fairly new car that sounds like an old clunker. That's not why I bought a nice car.
Any suggestions on what the noise might be? It's really loud when it's idling and when the RPMs are low. Also, when I start accelerating on low RPMs, there is a rattling noise. As soon as the RPMs go up, the noise goes away. If you can, please e-mail me with response at alessandra2537@aol.com since I don't check this very often. Thanks!!!!!!

Old 03-24-2007, 10:19 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

The 03 is know to have oil pump related issues which will at some time gernade an engine if not taken care of. Has anyone actually put a mechanical oil pressure guage on the pump and watched it when these noises occur?
Mike

Old 03-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Three Wheeling

hi

Sorry for the long replay, but the sound is comming form the top of the engine near the fire wallof thedriverside, sounds like air is comming outand sound fades out when rpm goes up to and comes back on idle.stuck valve?, Carbon buildup?, Need to run with ATF?tappats cover seal leaking???

Thx

Old 03-25-2007, 05:28 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

start with the easy stuff, rough idle = spark, air or fuel problem. replace plug wires, cap and rotor and spark plug wires immediately. Run some sea foam or marvels through a few tanks of gas to clean up the engine. Run sea foam through the crank case oil. then change the oil and filter and do it again. For abou $200.00 you will have a dramatically improved performance, idle, etc etc.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:39 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would use mech stethoscope or looonnng screwdriver to your ear while engine is idling to help pinpoint the area of noise.
then pull spark plug wire @ suspect cylinder to see if running characteristics change.
then pull spark plug & check for fouling , etc.,etc.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:41 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

UH, the handle end to your ear

Old 03-25-2007, 07:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You might inspect your exhaust manifold too. They are known to crack. If the noise gets quieter when the truck gets warm, this could be it. Mine is cracked, and makes a ticking noise. It shouldn't make your engine run rough, though.

Quick Reply: Rough idle, ticking sound and vibration?!?!?! What is going on?