Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rover Diesel options?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 12:58 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drowssap
there you go $5k already sleeved, head studs, cam and a 3-years X 36k miles eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
Who's going to do the Labor/install?.....Not me,to much for me..I dont have the time or space.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:29 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Besides a cost of $10,000 and more, a lack of power, higher fuel cost, why would you want to try a diesel?
Don't know so much about higher fuel cost because around me premium is always higher in price then diesel, diesel engines have longer life spans (in general), they are easier to work on, less things on them that can possibly go wrong.

Mostly though I have always preferred the Rover diesel over the Gas. The 300Tdi's are nearly bullet proof.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by thebloody
The 300Tdi's are nearly bullet proof.
except the fact that the timing belt cab go on the earlier ones blowing them up and the fact they use more gas then the 200tdi's and the ever self destructive EGR.

as for gas. diesel is 20 cents more than high test per gallon in NY.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:37 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Diesel also costs more per gal here but you get almost double the MPG so it is a wash.
You would need to install a TD5 and a TD5 transmission or convert to a Rover 5-speed.
And your truck would not pass emissions, the engine must match the VIN#, so if the VIN# says "V8 gas" it must have a gas V8 in it, you can replace your V8 with the V8 from a newer Rover or the Rover of the same year but it must be a gas V8.
And since diesels were not sold here in the US in a DII you cant do it, wont pass emissions, you will be failed as soon as they open the hood.
You would need to move to a non testing state.

And as for the price of a brand new V8, $10,000? Really?
It's actually $7,000 from the dealer, brand new in a crate.
And why would anyone spend that kind of money to repair a used car? If it was in a accident and the repairs were 3/4's of that the insurance company would total it out, it makes no sense financially.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:26 AM
Old 02-16-2012, 08:28 AM
Mudding

spike555
And why would anyone spend that kind of money to repair a used car? If it was in a accident and the repairs were 3/4's of that the insurance company would total it out, it makes no sense financially.[/QUOTE]

Just an FYI on the $10K.....I was just quoted last week from Landrover annapolis,MD last wk $8-$10k..new crate motor remove old install new.....Not saying I need it was just cking incase worse case ever happens...

And on the why would anyone spend that kind of money on........In my case or maybe someone like me....I purchased my Disco new in 2004,inside/outside perfect never off roaded (did alot of that in my old 98 dI )Always seviced and maintained,well IMHO where am I going to find a ride like mine for 10k.....Hell they dont even make them anymore....

Last edited by creepin; 02-16-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by creepin
spike555
And why would anyone spend that kind of money to repair a used car? If it was in a accident and the repairs were 3/4's of that the insurance company would total it out, it makes no sense financially.
Just an FYI on the $10K.....I was just quoted last week from Landrover annapolis,MD last wk $8-$10k..new crate motor remove old install new.....Not saying I need it was just cking incase worse case ever happens...

And on the why would anyone spend that kind of money on........In my case or maybe someone like me....I purchased my Disco new in 2004,inside/outside perfect never off roaded (did alot of that in my old 98 dI )Always seviced and maintained,well IMHO where am I going to find a ride like mine for 10k.....Hell they dont even make them anymore....[/quote]

if i never went off-road i would never own a discovery 2. too many headaches to just drive around town in it. and if you use the A/C during the summer eventually you will drown your xyz switch causing you to have to limp from wherever the heck you are, the headgaskets will blow and your sunroofs will leak on you not to mention abs modulator failures and a drive shaft that is ready to go off like a roadside bomb strapped to the bottom of your truck. i would take that 10 grand and go buy a sweet rangie classic. ....

just saying.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:33 AM
Mudding
Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
except the fact that the timing belt cab go on the earlier ones blowing them up and the fact they use more gas then the 200tdi's and the ever self destructive EGR.

as for gas. diesel is 20 cents more than high test per gallon in NY.
The 300Tdi has a bit more HP/torque and is more tune-able so it is a trade off between the two. In terms of the EGR only the newer 300's had them and a 2mm blanking plate mod takes care of that. I "was" correct a week or two ago about diesel but since the prices jumped yesterday/today diesel is 10c more here in PA then 91/93.

Originally Posted by Spike555
And your truck would not pass emissions, the engine must match the VIN#, so if the VIN# says "V8 gas" it must have a gas V8 in it, you can replace your V8 with the V8 from a newer Rover or the Rover of the same year but it must be a gas V8.
Sigh* that is what I was afraid of, I really don't understand why more "eco-friendly" engine installs can't get a waiver to that rule. EDIT: I have heard of people registering their vehicle under a new VIN# in order to install the new engine but I am still looking for government regulations regarding this.

Last edited by thebloody; 02-16-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:46 AM

any by more tune-able you mean more electrics to go **** up. the 200 and 300 have the same output power off the factory floor. 107bhp in the defender and 111bhp in the disco.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:54 AM
Mudding

Done, Pennsylvania Salvaged Vehicle Regulations and Consumer Protections at DMV.org: The Unofficial DMV Guide. Reregister the vehicle as "modified", but then you will probably pay out the *** in insurance.

Quick Reply: Rover Diesel options?