Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rover Diesel options?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
any by more tune-able you mean more electrics to go **** up. the 200 and 300 have the same output power off the factory floor. 107bhp in the defender and 111bhp in the disco.
Never had electrical issues with the 94 D90 Tdi, would have brought it over to the States when we moved but alas couldn't .
Hmm, it was my understanding that the 300Tdi puts out 111bhp for Defender and 113 for the Disco but I have been wrong before and will be wrong again.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:32 AM
Mudding

hilltoppersx
if i never went off-road i would never own a discovery 2. too many headaches to just drive around town in it. and if you use the A/C during the summer eventually you will drown your xyz switch causing you to have to limp from wherever the heck you are, the headgaskets will blow and your sunroofs will leak on you not to mention abs modulator failures and a drive shaft that is ready to go off like a roadside bomb strapped to the bottom of your truck. i would take that 10 grand and go buy a sweet rangie classic. ....

just saying.[/QUOTE]

My friend everybodys situation is different....offroading bin there done that(I know I can if I want).I drive minimal,To my marina 5min from house,to Lacrosse 10-15min,Grocery store 5 min.(Im a domestic engineer now...My wife loves me)Everything you mentioned sunroofs ect.already taken care of,except head gaskets..next week....as I said I bought new I know what I got......Rangie Classic someone elses,possible unknow problems...Im sure you know what I mean....This is just my thoughts on it.....

Oh and the a/c thing never heard of that one?...Whats that about..

I try to stay one up on this stuff....inlighten me please..

Old 02-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Mudding
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by creepin
[/color]
(Im a domestic engineer now...My wife loves me)
God I need to find a woman that will support my slacking habit, ya lucky bastard.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:50 PM
KBW
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spike555
Diesel also costs more per gal here but you get almost double the MPG so it is a wash.
You would need to install a TD5 and a TD5 transmission or convert to a Rover 5-speed.
And your truck would not pass emissions, the engine must match the VIN#, so if the VIN# says "V8 gas" it must have a gas V8 in it, you can replace your V8 with the V8 from a newer Rover or the Rover of the same year but it must be a gas V8.
And since diesels were not sold here in the US in a DII you cant do it, wont pass emissions, you will be failed as soon as they open the hood.
You would need to move to a non testing state.

And as for the price of a brand new V8, $10,000? Really?
It's actually $7,000 from the dealer, brand new in a crate.
And why would anyone spend that kind of money to repair a used car? If it was in a accident and the repairs were 3/4's of that the insurance company would total it out, it makes no sense financially.
Get your Rover registered in South Carolina and you can do whatever the heck you want to with the engine haha. Other than Charleston, Hilton Head, Greenville, Clemson, and a few other places along the coast our basically absent vehicle laws are about the only thing good about this state. We build cars/trucks that couldn't come close to being legal in 90% of states and people don't bat an eye at you. My neighbor has 54 inch tires with no fender coverage on his 3500 chevy, blows diesel smoke all over the place out of his stacks, and the only thing he'd get from a cop would be a thumbs up.

I am 100% going to eventually put a Diesel in mine. Whenever it blows up I wouldn't even think of going gas. Just ordered a 4 door rubicon jeep I'm going to put a Hemi in but I'm going to keep messing with my discovery forever because it isn't worth enough to sell as it is worth to me at this point. Maybe one day they'll go up in value but I don't plan on ever selling it either way. You can put a 7 liter supercharged Hemi with straight pipes shooting smog out for days and nobody in South carolina would care

Old 02-16-2012, 01:52 PM
KBW
Mudding

Originally Posted by creepin
[/color]
hilltoppersx
if i never went off-road i would never own a discovery 2. too many headaches to just drive around town in it. and if you use the A/C during the summer eventually you will drown your xyz switch causing you to have to limp from wherever the heck you are, the headgaskets will blow and your sunroofs will leak on you not to mention abs modulator failures and a drive shaft that is ready to go off like a roadside bomb strapped to the bottom of your truck. i would take that 10 grand and go buy a sweet rangie classic. ....

just saying.
My friend everybodys situation is different....offroading bin there done that(I know I can if I want).I drive minimal,To my marina 5min from house,to Lacrosse 10-15min,Grocery store 5 min.(Im a domestic engineer now...My wife loves me)Everything you mentioned sunroofs ect.already taken care of,except head gaskets..next week....as I said I bought new I know what I got......Rangie Classic someone elses,possible unknow problems...Im sure you know what I mean....This is just my thoughts on it.....

Oh and the a/c thing never heard of that one?...Whats that about..

I try to stay one up on this stuff....inlighten me please..[/quote]

I'd like to know about the AC as well. The magic of the discovery my ac quit working for a few months and magically started working again one day when it was hot as hell and I figured why not and turned it on

Old 02-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

the A/C drain drips directly on the XYZ switch eventually the stock gasket goes water gets in makes a nice muddy substance in there and shorts the switch leaving you in limp mode (3rd gear). you need to re-route the AC drain and rebuild the switch resealing it shut.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:27 PM
Mudding

the A/C drain drips directly on the XYZ switch eventually the stock gasket goes water gets in makes a nice muddy substance in there and shorts the switch leaving you in limp mode (3rd gear). you need to re-route the AC drain and rebuild the switch resealing it shut.
So what your tell me is I should reroute now,before this happens....Thanks..See gota stay one up....

Anyone else have this problem?

Old 02-16-2012, 06:25 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Anyone that uses AC will eventually have this problem.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:42 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

.....you need to re-route the AC drain and rebuild the switch resealing it shut.
Where's the "How To," Ed?

Looking at the price of a new switch...doesn't look like a fun one to have to buy new.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:15 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You can rebuild and reseal your XYZ switch.
You cant re-route the a/c drains, but you can put a cover over the XYZ switch to keep the water from dripping on it.

And MI is the same way with the emissions, none. Do anything you want.

Quick Reply: Rover Diesel options?