Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rover North Brand New Frames

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 01:41 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rover North Brand New Frames

I'm sure some of you have seen that Rover North is selling a brand new galvanized frame for $4,200.00. Now don't get me wrong it sure is pretty, but the frame in most cases is worth more than these trucks.

Now I love my Disco, but just don't see how anyone could justify spending this kind of money on a frame when you could by an entire donor truck for less or a used frame.

Just thought I'd get some other perspectives on this.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

For it to be worthwhile, the truck would have to be -MINT- in every other way. Chances are good, with the frame that rotted out to require replacement -- it's got other issues too.

I'm with you - I don't see doing it, but I've been married, and spent more money on more stupid choices.

Dave

Old 04-09-2014, 02:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I'm interested to see what people think, though I pretty much already know.

People that browse internet forums are generally not the target audience for the replacement frames.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:59 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
I'm interested to see what people think, though I pretty much already know.

People that browse internet forums are generally not the target audience for the replacement frames.
So who would be the target for these frames if not us enthusiasts like on this forum? I've seen used frames which I can't guarantee are rust free for $1500.00. I've sank $5,500.00 in a Turner Engine so if anyone would see an interest it would probably be me. The problem as I'm sure you know is the value of these trucks is so low and no matter what you sink into them its not going to raise that value much.

Do you feel the market will have people restoring these trucks like you'd restore an old classic car in years to come?

Old 04-09-2014, 03:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I guess it all depends what part of the country your in. My truck has never left Texas so rust is not an issue. However if I was in the NE or NW I could see the need. Eventually these trucks will become fewer and fewer and more and more ending up in the scrap yards. So at some point there will be a demand for these.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:08 PM
Camel Trophy

Target audience is essentially dealer customers who are not enthusiasts. People who take their truck to the shop and say, fix whatever is wrong, price is not important.

OR

People who are enthusiasts, but aren't interested in getting a new truck just to have the same issues in a couple years. Still, generally not people that go on forums.

Forums generally attract people like me, who are a little more price-conscious and don't have 200 hours to put a new frame on.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:13 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Target audience is essentially dealer customers who are not enthusiasts. People who take their truck to the shop and say, fix whatever is wrong, price is not important.

OR

People who are enthusiasts, but aren't interested in getting a new truck just to have the same issues in a couple years. Still, generally not people that go on forums.

Forums generally attract people like me, who are a little more price-conscious and don't have 200 hours to put a new frame on.
Well I sure would agree with you on price but in term of hours I would purchase the frame if the price was lets say in the $2k range. I can't imagine you have many folks driving DII's that are going to dealers either, I could be wrong.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Didn't you say they are all on back order now? Sounds like someone wanted them.

Land Rovers and responsible finances are not good bedfellows.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:24 PM
Winching

I hope they can sell the heck out of them don't get me wrong. And if anyone's frame is going to rust out its mine living in the rust belt of Chicago. Its a fine looking frame just would probably have to look at a replacement truck if the frame finally turned to swiss cheese.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:25 PM
Camel Trophy

We have already sold a few, and have 2 on backorder currently. It is surprising to me as well...

But, you must remember it's the last solid axle Rover available in the states. It has heritage!!!

Quick Reply: Rover North Brand New Frames