Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rovers North Rock Sliders

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 09:48 PM
Drifting
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Rovers North Rock Sliders

Has anyone installed the rock sliders from Rovers North?

I am attracted to these due to the galvanization.

Old 10-21-2020, 12:03 AM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 281 Likes on 215 Posts

Since you are in Vancouver, check with Darin at Balmer Fab in Abbotsford. He made the sliders for me and Richard Gallant. This means you save freight and customs.

https://www.balmerfab.com/land-rover-discovery-2-rock-sliders
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=%27balmer%20fabrication

From his website: Priced from CAN$799.99
(includes sandblasting and powder coating in your choice of matte or semi-gloss black)

My truck is the maroon colored Disco on his website. Richard's truck is the other one in the pics.

P/S. I do not make any commission. Just passing along the word of mouth of Darin's great work

Last edited by acg; 10-21-2020 at 12:08 AM.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:59 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,154 Likes on 623 Posts

I ordered them 2 months ago and am looking fwd to getting them. I checked them out on a guy's Rover here in Portland.

Side note: taking awhile to get them in from overseas, and a guy at Rovers North said will be later this year before they get to the US, likely November. (and I'm willing to wait). Supposed to be very good, I did a ton of research.

If I'd known it would take so long I might have explored local options too.

Old 10-21-2020, 03:01 PM
Drifting
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Nashvegas,

I you have time...I would love to hear some results of your research.

My concerns on sliders have been corrosion (sliders as well as my rockers), support method (Nutserts, fully captured around rocker channel), and having a curved structure that follows the curve of the body work.

What conclusions did you come too?

Old 10-21-2020, 03:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 772 Likes on 508 Posts

They will eventually corrode, they all do. Any bolt on options will also be susceptible to bending up into quarterpanels and bottom of doors if you off-road. No one makes a weld in option which would be the strongest option. A decent fab shop should be able to get a set welded in without crushing your wallet (ensure the frame is reinforced where the outriggers land) and should cut down on the potential for corrosion as they shouldn't trap dirt and moisture like the bolt on options.

Old 10-21-2020, 06:07 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by whowa004
They will eventually corrode, they all do. Any bolt on options will also be susceptible to bending up into quarterpanels and bottom of doors if you off-road. No one makes a weld in option which would be the strongest option. A decent fab shop should be able to get a set welded in without crushing your wallet (ensure the frame is reinforced where the outriggers land) and should cut down on the potential for corrosion as they shouldn't trap dirt and moisture like the bolt on options.
I believe it. I just removed some Trek Outfitter sliders from a truck I just bought. They trapped so much crap in them and with it mainly living in the Midwest, the rockers/sills rusted. Now I need to have them repaired. Welds on the sliders also split due to a channel on them catching crud and water and then probably expanding and contracting in cold weather.

The following users liked this post:
whowa004 (10-21-2020)
Old 10-22-2021, 02:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,154 Likes on 623 Posts

Finally circling back. I have had the Rovers North Rock Sliders (the special galvanized ones) on my D2 for about 6-8 months now. I love them. They look great and no installation issues. No rusting or other issues.

They install w/ long bolts that go through both inner and outer sill, not nutserts on the outer sills FYI.

I worry about catching mud and debris in there just like with any other sill/slider, but I'll wash them out thoroughly after any fun or winter driving.