Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RPMs Dropping Tranny Related?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 10:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RPMs Dropping Tranny Related?

My transmission was slipping on redline downshifts between third and fourth but has now quit doing it. Now anywhere between 3750 and 4000 RPMs, and only in third, RPMs will drop by about 250 and then climb back up. This only happens under WOT conditions and only in third. In searching for info on this I read a lot about the alternator causing a similar issue but it only happens in third gear. Also sometimes in 1st there will be a surging sensation, also under wot conditions. Thanks in advance for the input!

Oh, sorry- 2003 V8 62K
-T-

Last edited by tee51397; 06-12-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

When was the tranny last services, do you have a check engine light on?

Old 06-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Why are you driving it wide open? I am glad that I'm not buying your gas.
When the tranny ECU gtets low battery voltage it will go into "limp" mode, which is thrid gear only, no 1st, no 4th, only third.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:03 PM
Rock Crawling

No engine lights and fluid was last changed about 3K ago- Mo1 and Lucas. I just re-read my above post and I meant down-shift but I figure you knew that. The slippage only happened a couple of times a couple of days in a row. It just went out of warranty last week and was at the dealer for the problems but.. of course, could not duplicate. So I guess there were no codes in there. It's def not limp mode as I have all other gears. Revs climb to about 4K drop back about 250 and then smooth all the way up. The whole thing is smooth no jerks or evident misses although they'd be hard to feel at those rpms I'd think. The dropping revs in 3rd are 100% consistent, not a here one day gone the next thing. It's really got me stumped and I've got about 15K on Magnecors and new plugs and I don't see any signs of damage on the wires. I think the fact that it's only in 3rd gear is what really gets me. Thanks!

-T-

Last edited by tee51397; 06-12-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:38 AM
Rock Crawling

I've also got an Innova scanner that shows live data, are there any things I should look at to either identify or eliminate possible culprits?

Old 06-13-2009, 09:35 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I still dotn understand why you are having to floor it.
But that aside...did youi change the trans filter when you did the fluid change?
Why did you put Lucas in the trans? Was there a problem before the fluid change?

Old 06-13-2009, 10:22 AM
Rock Crawling

It's often pretty difficult to get on the freeway, with traffic, driving a rolling brick gingerly. For me gas mileage sucks regardless of how it's driven so I figure once you're there, the degree of suckage is irrelevant. I do, however, often joke that when you floor it there should be a chime behind the dash that goes cha-ching cha-ching or instead of a MPG display it should have one that displays it in $$.

The filter was changed at 30K so I didn't change it again since per the service schedule it's wasn't needed. The slippage occurred before the change which is what inspired the lucas, as well as Disco Mike's 60K write-up. Personally, I don't like additives but figured why not since it was already slipping. The dealer said new tranny... of course but warranty denied it since the adjuster could not duplicate the problem.

The old fluid was still red but did have a little of a rubber smell to it.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:29 AM
Administrator

You need to get it back to the dealer and have the shop fore or service manager ride with you, then duplicate what it is doing.
Since you were in there last week, if you can duplicate this problem, while they are driving, they will have to cover it based on your last visit.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:44 AM
Rock Crawling

I've tried that and it wouldn't slip and no one seems to think the dropping RPMs are a problem apparently. It's been an ordeal and it took LR NA calling the warranty co to even get the adjuster to come out a second time. Warranty has been terrible about denying things- basically if it isn't totally busted they won't approve it. I want problems fixed before they break completely and / or cause other problems, so I've ended up doing more myself than warranty has paid for. I would def never pay the $$ for the extended again. One of the techs did duplicate it and it says so on my invoice, but still denied.

So, if the issue with the RPMs are related to the tranny I'm going to fight it, if not I want to get to the bottom of it and fix it.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:05 AM
Administrator

First, warranty companies are not required to fix anything that has not failed. Who's warranty are you talking about?
You might want to have a shop reset your trannies adaptive memory, this may settle down the shift issue. Also, Rovers aren't going to do red line shifts well and stay together, you may want to consider a little different driving style, In 8 years, I doubt I have had to do that sort of agressive driving more then 3 or 4 times and only once while playing did I have my rev limiter kick in and that was while ice racing.

Quick Reply: RPMs Dropping Tranny Related?