Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RPMs Dropping Tranny Related?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 11:57 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LR extended warranty. I guess I have a different opinion of what fail means. To me failed means not working in the manner it was designed / intended to work, be that a leak a slip or whatever. If I've got a PS pump leaking, warranty denies it and I'm notified of the problem then I don't fix it and the leak causes the failure of another component would I expect warranty to cover the other component? No, but I do expect warranty to cover the leaking PS pump in the first place. It's just been all sorts of that type of thing.

I don't know how everyone got the impression that I'm out racing around all the time. That is certainly not the case, however, as a daily driver there many situations where if I waited to pull out into traffic until I could keep it under 3K I'd die of old age before I ever made it home. In trying to duplicate the problem I have noticed a new symptom and am trying to figure out if the two are related. So all the redlines and WOT are a result of trying to duplicate a problem that presented itself one day, not in a normal situation and not a result of the car being driven like a Ferrari all day. I also leave the car in drive so I'm not bouncing off the rev limiter, just red line shifts. The slippage has now stopped completely... unless the dropping revs are a sign of slippage.

I'm just trying to figure out if the two are / could be related or if I'm drawing parallels where there are none to be made. I guess the real question is if it was the transmission would the revs not go up with slippage or while not fly by wire, is there some electronic measure to retard the throttle when slippage is sensed?

Last edited by tee51397; 06-13-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:23 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Let this be a lesson to ANYONE who even remotely thinks of buying a extended warrenty, they only cover things when they explode, and only then if you can prove it was not your fault.
Oil light comes on and you keep drivng and the engine grenades...not covered because you kept driving.
Take it in with the oil light on but engine still good, there is nothing wrong so they wont cover it.

I am a truck driver, semis cant floor it and merge, neither can Rovers, you need to accelerate at a steady pace and then pick yoru spot and merge, dont speed up to get in front of somebody, slow down and get behind them.
Your truck and your wallet will thank you.
I drive the expressway everyday to work and back and I have no problems getting on the expressway.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nevermind, thanks.