Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RTE Fab rear bumper: anyone using it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 03:13 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Default RTE Fab rear bumper: anyone using it?

http://www.rte-fab.com/index.php?pag...art&Itemid=119

Among many other projects Im getting ready to replace both front and rear bumpers and Im going with heavy duty. For the rear I'm 90% positive I want the RTE Fab rear HD bumper, but the the reviews on the website concern me and the price is very high for such a simple looking bumper with no recovery points and no rust proofing. One review complained the the bumper started rusting after just a year old! He said he would have to bring the bumper to local shop and pay a couple hundred bucks to sandblast and repaint. Ive seen many HD bumpers and alot of them come with recovery points, are bigger thicker and cheaper than this bumper so Im a bit skeptical. But I love how nice it looks. It has the clean stock look im going for and thats why I want it. I dont want the ******* tailgating me to know its a HD bumper until they slam into it! Just kidding!

So is anybody using this bumper? What was your experience with it?

Old 01-26-2014, 09:55 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have both the front and rear RTE Bumpers. There is no rust issues what so ever. They are both powder coated. Both ends have recover points so I am not sure where you are getting this from. I went over my configuration with Bill prior to the final design. He integrated the electrical for hitch as well as the Trek specific rear light protectors. I preferred RTE design over every other. Bill was great to deal with I also bought the 3inch complete lift from him. a few pics

Name:  TREK041.jpg
Views: 1931
Size:  57.2 KB

Name:  TREK042.jpg
Views: 4593
Size:  64.7 KB

Name:  FinishedProduct002-1.jpg
Views: 2019
Size:  78.4 KB

Name:  TREK045.jpg
Views: 1602
Size:  69.9 KB

Old 01-26-2014, 01:11 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Yoops Racing
I have both the front and rear RTE Bumpers. There is no rust issues what so ever. They are both powder coated. Both ends have recover points so I am not sure where you are getting this from. I went over my configuration with Bill prior to the final design. He integrated the electrical for hitch as well as the Trek specific rear light protectors. I preferred RTE design over every other. Bill was great to deal with I also bought the 3inch complete lift from him. a few pics

I'm referring to the link above which I provided. Scroll down and notice the rear bumper looks slightly different than the bumper you are using. RTE is asking $1,125 for it without recovery points or those fancy bars you have added on the sides of your rear bumper and theres no mention of power coating. Both reviews at the button of the page confirm that theres no recovery points and one of the reviews said his rusted after a year. Could have been a one time mistake on RTE's end and maybe they have fixed the issue. I assume they can add recovery points for additional cost. My point is that the price is to high for so little. Nevertheless I will probably end up giving it a try cause its still the best looking rear bumper.

Thanks for the input. Sexy Disco you have there.... im jealous.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

VERY nice looking Disco. And those bumpers, (especially the back) looks awesome!

Old 01-27-2014, 01:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

mmmm land rover ****

Old 01-27-2014, 04:18 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoops Racing

Sweet LR. What kind and size of lights are those on your bumper?

Thanks

Old 01-28-2014, 12:19 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by kwarren76

Thanks
Those my friend are serious driving lamps. They are made by Warn and they came factory equipped on the Trek Edition rovers. They are not cheap like Hella and others. I think you can buy a kit which includes 2 lamps for roughly $500. Warn Industries - Off-Road Lights for Jeep, Truck & SUV: SDB-160 Dual Beam

Old 01-28-2014, 03:42 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info Triar - I think I will try the cheaper Lightforce 170 I have my eye on. Then, like most things, I will realize you get what you pay for and purchase the more expensive Warn lights later after wasting my money on these.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks
they are the 9in Warns and they are bright ... thanks for the compliment

Old 01-28-2014, 05:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info Triar - I think I will try the cheaper Lightforce 170 I have my eye on. Then, like most things, I will realize you get what you pay for and purchase the more expensive Warn lights later after wasting my money on these.
Don't sell yourself short, Can't go wrong with Lightforces at all and personally I think they look better. Only light the Aussies use

Quick Reply: RTE Fab rear bumper: anyone using it?