Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RTE Fab rear bumper: anyone using it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 07:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Are those the factory fogs in the front bumper?

Old 01-29-2014, 12:09 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Rover_Hokie
Are those the factory fogs in the front bumper?
No they were supplied by RTE. I think cibie or piaa. They also are very very bright for tiny lights

Old 01-29-2014, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

yoops, that is a good looking truck!

Old 01-29-2014, 04:00 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by dusty1
Well DUHH! I mean the guy owns a Trek Disco for peats sake and he actually takes care of it though I think "SPOILS IT" is a better praise lol. Great to see a rare edition Disco in good hands.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:59 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by dusty1
Thanks Dusty. Lots of work and lots of money but it is almost 100% perfect now and everything works and no issues other than normal oil seepage from the pan.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:29 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

So this thread never really got answered, but that is a sweet trek you have there. Actually in part your truck helped me decide to go RTE up front. But that goes on later this month

Anyway so I decided to go RTE in the back because I was also looking for a heavy duty rear bumper, but I wanted it to have a clean look to it. All while still being able to take the weight of the truck should I decide to make a careless mistake on the trail. I knew I would need to cut away some metal, but didn't want to do anything drastic being I like my truck, and do care about things like the "street look" and "road manner". While still being able to take the abuse of the multitudes of terrain I throw at it.

Of the more common bumpers out there that fit the criteria of mine, Greg Davis, tactical rovers, terrafirma, etc, I was on the fence again because of the high dollar price tag of all this stuff.

...Then one day while on the highway, pop this happens...
Name:  G4newbumper3_zpsf7514b19.jpg
Views: 1208
Size:  68.3 KB

After countless calls and research I was able to verify that this bumper along with those fender flares would cover up that damage and that this would actually save me about a grand in repairs!

So I did this...
Name:  G4newbumper_zps4c67db04.jpg
Views: 1193
Size:  61.9 KB
Name:  G4newbumper4_zps98a9f341.jpg
Views: 1329
Size:  70.1 KB

My review of it
Not having recovery points is a bummer, but really I've never really been affected. I have a hitch mounted recovery point which has worked in every situation I've needed it. Again it contributes to that sleek design, and I've had people tell me how it looks like it could of been a factory option from the back.

I will add, I opted for those side bars for some extra protection among other things and I'm happy I did. They saved my paint a few times this past weekend in Vermont. As for the rust, I've had this bumper on since fall of 2013. Between dragging it off rocks in the rockies and Moab to slugging through the mud and sand from New Jersey to Maine I can say I'm so far very happy. I haven't experienced any rust yet and my rover keeps me underneath it enough to which I would notice!

Mine is painted and I like the look it gives over the powder coating personally, so I'm doing the same to my front when its ready. The departure clearance gained is nice, and freeing up under the quarter panels adds some nice off road prowess as well as I think it just looks better, which does matter to me. If your spending this sort of cash I think it is important to at least be functionally while looking good. Lastly I will say its sturdy, I've had friends and even the guy at my body shop comment on the steel used. While they are a bit costly, they are well built while still looking professional.

My Credentials:
Name:  IMAG0774_zpsf03e5a88.jpg
Views: 1233
Size:  118.4 KB