Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rubber Plug?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 01:42 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are two of those plugs, one is larger than the other and they are easy to reverse. If you have them correct they fit easily into the inspection holes.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:04 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott R
There are two of those plugs, one is larger than the other and they are easy to reverse. If you have them correct they fit easily into the inspection holes.
Thanks for the info. In my case, I did not remove both plugs- nor did I want to remove this one.

It's possible the rubber plug I'm struggling with was installed improperly during servicing. Land Rover worked on (thoroughly destroyed) my truck a number of years ago. It wouldn't surprise me if the mechanics reversed the plugs...

I'll check with Land Rover and see if they'll toss me a new set.

MWmG

Old 06-10-2010, 10:06 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you ever figure the grommets out?
Mine are the same, there's just no way they are going back in and they are perished anyway, and one is torn.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2 sizes

there are 2 sizes as i did my daughters DIi and someone had squezzed the wrong one in the passenger side . I got the right size at my local indy wrecker.. One plug is much bigger...

Chris

Old 06-10-2010, 10:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

If it is the original inspection plugs you are trying to reinstall, they probably will not fit. Over the last 10+ years, they have more than likely swelled from oil leaks and the like. Just buy new plugs from LR. I don't remember what I paid for mine, but they weren't that much.
I fought for weeks trying to get the original plugs back in mine after replacing engines. I tried everything: freezing them, heating them, brake clean, Vaseline, etc. I would just about get them fully seated, then the opposite end would pop free.
I ordered two new plugs from LR (the parts guy had to talk to two different techs to find the right thing). After weeks of fighting with the old ones, the new plugs were in place, easily, within 1 minute.
I couldn't believe the difference between the difficulty of the old ones to the ease of the new ones.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:02 AM
Banned

OK thanks, I will get a new set at a dealer tomorrow. After reading here that they are different sizes I went back and double checked mine, they are both the same size - or so distorted that they appear the same size.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:14 AM
Pro Wrench

If it's a DII, they are both the same size. I cannot speak for the DI.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:21 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

The plug is larger then the hole so it will make a good pressure fit. Might try using a wood dowel that is slightly smaller then the inside diameter of the plug, lube the plug and push it in.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:30 AM
Pro Wrench

I think the problem with the old plugs is that they were too pliable, due to age and oil and road grime impregnation. The new plugs from LR seemed to be a lot less pliable (since they were new rubber), and literally the install with new plugs was a 1 minute procedure. I don't remember if I even needed to use both hands; I think I fitted each new plug with one hand in a matter of seconds. The new rubber really makes it that easy!

Old 06-11-2010, 10:44 AM
Banned

My plugs are sticky and gooey like a gummi bear spat out by a baby. I managed to get one plug in with the handle of my rubber mallet, then watched it extricate itself and plop to the ground.

Quick Reply: Rubber Plug?