Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running Warm on Highway

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 11:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

So I conducted a little experiment earlier this morning. It was cooler today in the morning about 70 degrees ambient. Took the Rover out on the interstate and went 62 mph with the A/C on. Temps never went over 188. So I guess the ambient temp was the major issue. Just not enough cooling capacity. I'm going to look into other options like a electric water pump booster to keep it under better control, at least to get some more cooling capacity. Hood louvers would work good, but I like the look of the hood.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:59 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 184 Likes on 157 Posts

Interesting. Keep us posted on your mods. I'll be adding a winch soon and worried about reduced airflow. Hood louvers are an idea , would look OK with a blacked out hood.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:40 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

I've got the Kent H180 cam in mine. Anything that increases HP output will also increase heat production, but a cam would only be marginal. Shouldn't even be a single degree. I know that I didn't see any temp increase doing both a cam and a port and polish.

I did kinda a Saudi Grill kind of thing and that seemed to make some difference. Especially if highway temps is your issue, more airflow through the grill should make a big difference.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainAaron
So I conducted a little experiment earlier this morning. It was cooler today in the morning about 70 degrees ambient. Took the Rover out on the interstate and went 62 mph with the A/C on. Temps never went over 188. So I guess the ambient temp was the major issue. Just not enough cooling capacity. I'm going to look into other options like a electric water pump booster to keep it under better control, at least to get some more cooling capacity. Hood louvers would work good, but I like the look of the hood.

yea, we had that thread going about the water pump booster. that's what I wanted so that I have coolant circulating @ engine shut down. That and a controller for the aux fan so that I would be able to apply my own parameters, and of course run @ engine shut down in the summer time. Heat soak is a bizn*tch when its 105* out.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:54 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Alex_M
I did kinda a Saudi Grill kind of thing and that seemed to make some difference. Especially if highway temps is your issue, more airflow through the grill should make a big difference.
Yeah, I'm definitely considering this. Factory grill blocks a lot of area.

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
Interesting. Keep us posted on your mods. I'll be adding a winch soon and worried about reduced airflow. Hood louvers are an idea , would look OK with a blacked out hood.
Will do. Changing out the bumper did change the airflow properties because the old bumper ducted more air into the radiator. Nothing to be concerned about, but I'm going to test some different things soon.

Originally Posted by chubbs878
yea, we had that thread going about the water pump booster. that's what I wanted so that I have coolant circulating @ engine shut down. That and a controller for the aux fan so that I would be able to apply my own parameters, and of course run @ engine shut down in the summer time. Heat soak is a bizn*tch when its 105* out.
Yeah, I'm still working on that idea. Probably going to give it a try with the mustang fan and the Craig Davies EWP115 as a booster when I get back. I started on a 1,000+ mile camping trip today, so a good time to get some numbers. It was 91* ambient and engine temps were steady at 195 at 62 mph. It's pretty linear numbers between the ambient temp and the temp of the engine once the ambient is above 80*.

I shut off the car at a rest area today and came back and the temp was 208, which does bother me a bit. EWP should solve that issue.

Last edited by CaptainAaron; 05-02-2017 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 05-03-2017, 01:24 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CaptainAaron,
I am in Gainesville, FL as well. Temps were nice this morning, right?

I am a new owner of a 2004 Disco that was running around 225 in our heat. I did the 180 thermostat yesterday evening and switch to green coolant with Purple Ice and temps today have not gone over 190. But the ambient twmp is much lower today than previous. I was debating the inline mod, but my mechanical skills are subpar at best. Lol.

Nice to know there are other Gville Disco owners on here.

-Daniel

Old 05-03-2017, 09:52 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by SensiRider
CaptainAaron,
I am in Gainesville, FL as well. Temps were nice this morning, right?

I am a new owner of a 2004 Disco that was running around 225 in our heat. I did the 180 thermostat yesterday evening and switch to green coolant with Purple Ice and temps today have not gone over 190. But the ambient twmp is much lower today than previous. I was debating the inline mod, but my mechanical skills are subpar at best. Lol.

Nice to know there are other Gville Disco owners on here.

-Daniel
That's awesome. Always good to meet new Rover friends. I think those are good numbers even considering the cooler weather. With the 180 thermo I never went below 194, even in winter, so I think your numbers are good.

I can show you what's involved with the inline if you want. I'll PM you my info.

Old 05-05-2017, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts
Default Supercharging an 03-04 Grill:

I am trying something as a test. 03-04 grills are not reall Saudi Mod friendly, so I got to thinking, how about RRS Supercharging it?

I was at a junk yard today and grabbed an 03-04 grill for 20.00. So as an experiment I'm drilling it out by hand. All three crossbars on the grill are getting drilled! It'll certainly increase the airflow!

I know my holes aren't going to match up 100% but from 3ft away no one will be the wiser!

Last edited by Best4x4; 05-05-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
I know my holes aren't going to match up 100% but from 3ft away no one will be the wiser!
Looks good and great idea.

Turbulence from holes particularly the uneven ones may disrupt airflow?

Please update with temp figures and any cracking you may encounter. Thanks.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:09 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Best4x4

I am trying something as a test. 03-04 grills are not reall Saudi Mod friendly, so I got to thinking, how about RRS Supercharging it?

I was at a junk yard today and grabbed an 03-04 grill for 20.00. So as an experiment I'm drilling it out by hand. All three crossbars on the grill are getting drilled! It'll certainly increase the airflow!

That looks really good! Definitely interested in seeing how that turns out!

Originally Posted by number9
Turbulence from holes particularly the uneven ones may disrupt airflow?
I would highly doubt it would disrupt it enough to negate the extra airflow from the additional space. We will see!

Last edited by CaptainAaron; 05-05-2017 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Additional info

Quick Reply: Running Warm on Highway