Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rust

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 11:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mx468
Where did you find a place to do the waxoyl for $200? The wax is almost that much alone.
Its a really small shop up here in VT. If you drove by it you'd be like "WTF?! They're a garage?". They pretty much do it at cost. Again though that's only the underside they don't fill the insides of panels or anything.

Last edited by br0keit; 11-12-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:44 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by br0keit
Its a really small shop up here in VT. If you drove by it you'd be like "WTF?! They're a garage?". They pretty much do it at cost. Again though that's only the underside they don't fill the insides of panels or anything.
I wonder if your referring to D.A.P. Enterprise in Springfield VT? D.A.P. Enterprises LLC - Everything for your Land Rover

I live in central NH, on the western end which borders VT - and my Disco is still mostly black underneath! Yes the salt is a major issue in these Northern New England states and frankly the government should compensate us YEARLY for damages as a result of salt! But that said, if your worried about rust then here's a few suggestions

1.) Oil or Wax undercoating once a year (some people do it every 2 years).
2.) Wash down your rig with a pressure washer once a month during winter months, be sure to clean the underbody really well to clear out any salt and dirt deposits that have built up.
3.) Invest in heavy duty rubber floor mats which have the ridges around the edges, in order to lock in any moisture from melted ice and snow that kicks off your feet when you get in the truck. Dont let any moisture build up in the carpets!
4.) Invest in wheel dust shields and or Wheel mates:
Wheel Dust Shields - 18" (Pair) (3046 Same Fit As Part # 1876) - Land Rover kits from Atlantic British Wheel Mates For Land Rovers (WM4505 Same Fit As Part # 4505) - Land Rover wheel accessories from Atlantic British
5.) Or a very cheap alternative to oil and wax undercoatings, get a gallon or so of WD-40 and manually spray and saturate your underbody!
6.) Or move down south to a warmer climate

Old 11-13-2012, 09:43 AM
Rock Crawling

The place near me is Baroffio's Garage in Northfield VT. See attached for their labor rates!

Attached Thumbnails Rust-photo1.jpg  
Old 11-13-2012, 09:44 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Hahaha that is awesome. "If you tried and screwed it up, $75"
If you help fee. Damn, I love Vermont.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:16 PM
BMW
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking for an s-60r before I found my disco, I dont have the luxury of paved burlington roads down here so I need the ground clearance and the ruggedness of the disco to keep me going (as long as IT keeps going). Had an audi A4 before and it was just too low. I cringed going down some roads around here. Granted being lowered by about 1.5in on coilovers didn't help either.
I also have a lowered a4, so i can definitely relate lol. Even with blizzaks sometimes I would push snow up over my hood until I had to stop because I couldn't see.

Anyways I live in MN (lots and lots of salt in winter months) and the underside of my D2 is all surface rust now. I just hope nothing structural gets so rusty that it breaks.

Anyone know how to stop rust once is started without sanding it all off and coating it? That would take so long it wouldn't make sense to do at this point.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:00 PM
Rock Crawling

Well waxoyl is one of those things that is supposed to "stop rust" once applied. They clean it up with wire brushes and what not just to knock off any lose stuff so it doesn't flake but that's about it. So there's that. You can also go the cheaper route and get a mask, wire brush, and a few cans of that rubberized undercoating and go to town under your truck.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:21 PM
BMW
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well waxoyl is one of those things that is supposed to "stop rust" once applied. They clean it up with wire brushes and what not just to knock off any lose stuff so it doesn't flake but that's about it. So there's that. You can also go the cheaper route and get a mask, wire brush, and a few cans of that rubberized undercoating and go to town under your truck.
Good info, I might just do that... Thanks man.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:30 PM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by BMW
Good info, I might just do that... Thanks man.
Hey Bmw I would lightly sand your underbody rust and then apply por15. This stuff stops the rust and is really strong. I used it for my brush guard and I can't believe how tough it is. Or you can sand the rust off and spray some rustoleum over it. I had rust on my rear frame and it started to rot through. I just had a welder cut and re welded the frames with thicker steel. Its now stronger than it was when originally new. Get to it before it rots through!!!