Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is rustoleum a good choice for a hood blackout?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 01:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is rustoleum a good choice for a hood blackout?

Should I use rustoleum or an actual car paint to black out my hood? Any other sugestions are welcome as well. (btw I don't want to use the decal)

Old 11-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paint is allll about prep. If the surface being painted isn't prepped right, it'll peel off. If it is, you can use just about anything and make it work. You need to clean it, strip the wax, probably scuff it as well. I'd tape off my lines if you want an XD looking hood. If you're talking about painting the whole hood, it's easier.

This time of year, pay attention to temp and humidity as well. And drying time!

Best of luck with this.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:29 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i think rustoleum is fine, just take good care in prep and tape and you should be good after a few coats. what lights you puttin on the roof?

Old 11-18-2009, 01:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks for the replies. I don't know what I am doing for lighting yet... I'm just tired of looking at the peeling clear coat and figured why not put the cart in front of the horse. What is the optimal humidity level and is direct sunlight an issue? I do plan on taping it off and just painting the raised portion of the hood.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:19 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

depends on what rustoleum product you plan on using.... they have the industrial high performance which is kind of cool. can be heated up to 1000 degrees. or i would like to see the rubberized undercoat test sprayed.... i will eventually do my hood at some point next year so let us know what you do and how it comes out.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:25 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I used the rustoleum auto spray primer with filler and then wet sanded that. I painted over that with the flat black camo paint. I found it is hard to get a good even coat on large surfaces you want to buy an inexpensive spray gun from harbor freight if you have a compressor. Using the spray primer and wet sanding technique I must say the surface is pretty bullet proof and the surface texture looks good (I had a dent and lots of peeling pant).

Old 11-18-2009, 07:36 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I used a couple of cans of flat black Krylon and masking tape about 7 or 8 years ago. It held up well and I finally painted it again this past summer. That was after 7 or 8 years of laying tools on it, and generally not taking care with it.
I can't remember what I used this summer, but some other cheap flat black. This time I used newspaper and masking tape to reduce overspray on the white part of the bonnet.
I can take a photo of it if you want.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I would love to see a pic antichrist if its not any trouble. I don't have easy access to a compressor so rattle cans will prob be the way I go.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Or buy your self a precut 3M vinyl hood decal and never look back.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't paint it with a rattle can paint, it will fade after a few years. I would use an automotive grade vinyl, it will look good for a very long time.

Quick Reply: Is rustoleum a good choice for a hood blackout?