Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S&M...lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 09:00 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S&M...lights

Newby

I recently had some work done on my 2000 D2 (airbags to springs, brakes bled, new tires, new hoses, and other minor stuff) Now my M & S lights are on and the car has NO pickup. The gear indicator is blinking (does that when in Sport Mode I think?) I think it's a tranny thing. How scared should I be about how much $ I'll have to shell out now?

Could it be a fuse ?

Old 11-15-2009, 09:11 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You have low battery voltage and the transmission is going into limp mode which is 3rd gear only.

If this work was just done on Friday take it back to them and tell them what is going on.
It maybe related to what they did and it may not be.
But they need to double check their work, maybe the unhooked the battery and didnt tighten the battery cables.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:40 PM
4wd Low
Default that must be it!

I had the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light come on right after I had it serviced but they said it had nothing to do with what they worked on. I checked the battery and it was VERY corroded so I cleaned the terminals and the SERVICE ENGINE light is off now, but the S/M lights are still flashing. I don't think I have a good solid connection still (I couldn't get the nut off, so I had to just wiggle it back on the terminal) Could it be a dead/dying battery? I've had some slow, all lights flashing, hard to turn over starts recently. I'll get the battery check tomorrow. I hope it's that simple! I was thinking transmission trouble!

Thanks!

Old 11-15-2009, 11:51 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Put a charger on the battery. The voltage is low. Has nothing to do with a bad contact.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:41 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Any time a battery starts leaking it is failing. Take it to a local auto parts store, have the battery and alternator tested, should be between 13.6 and 14.4 volts when running, if not replace the problem battery.
If your check engine light comes on, have them read that code also and get back to us with those numbers.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:01 AM
4wd Low

Solved!

Battery needed to be replaced. Never guessed the battery would put the trans in limp mode, so I was fearing a trans problem. Thanks for your help.... AGAIN! Now all I have to figure out is why when I switched to springs my suspension light still comes on (once in awhile) even after the mechanic says he switched it off in the computer (two different times). And why I still hear what sounds like the compressor coming on every time I start it up. I'm wondering if they properly turned it off. I asked him to deconnect it, but he ASKED me where it was (and he's a LR mechanic), so who knows. I thought it was under the passenger side, but I hear what sounds like a compressor coming from the passenger side dashboard area. Maybe this is something else?

Old 11-17-2009, 10:40 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If you have removed the fuse in the engine compartment and the light is still own, then your mechanic lied to you and did not turn off the SLS thru the ECU, probably doesn't even have the proper scanner needed to do the work.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:18 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe your truck just wants a spanking.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:03 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes the SLS compressor is under the passengers feet, if you go look you will see is black box with wires in the front and air lines out the back.

Open your hood and start the truck after it has sat all night and then go and listen for the noise you are hearing.
It may be your secondary air injection pump.
Report back what you find.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:11 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lipadj46
Maybe your truck just wants a spanking.
I was thinking the same thing.

After all, Rovers would rather have the thorns than the roses!

Last edited by Disco_Fever; 11-17-2009 at 07:02 PM.

Quick Reply: S&M...lights