Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sagging front springs, or did i install them backwards?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 12:24 AM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Sagging front springs, or did i install them backwards?

I have been working on the Trover and i can tell that the front is lower than the rear and i've slept since i installed the suspension.

Is it possible to install the shocks backwards? as in the front shocks are in the rear and the rears are in the front?

Also how do i know what size springs and shocks i have? I found a TF 05 08 marking on a front spring.

Last edited by ls1morethanyou; 03-27-2018 at 12:37 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:40 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1morethanyou
I have been working on the Trover and i can tell that the front is lower than the rear and i've slept since i installed the suspension.

Is it possible to install the shocks backwards? as in the front shocks are in the rear and the rears are in the front?

Also how do i know what size springs and shocks i have? I found a TF 05 08 marking on a front spring.
Hi ls1morethanyou, long time no see/hear, how is Dusty1 these days? Give him my best regards if you see him.

If you have a D2 the front shocks are far different to the rears, no chance of a mix up. The springs could be your problem or also it depends whether you still have the rear ride height sensors connected. Calculating spring rates and shock compression and rebound is a 'fine' art and I've got it wrong a few times with motor racing. It also depends on imposed loads front and rear ends and shock travel distances. I could do with more data to help you out.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:25 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Do you still see markings, tags or stickers on the spring as reference? Unless is out and measure them. Each time I install, I just read the tags and never paid attention which is longer or thicker. Cheers

Old 03-27-2018, 08:54 AM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The front spring usually have even spaced coil wrappings, the rear are usually progressive and have tighter windings towards the end. They can easily be installed on the wrong end resulting in a much higher front of the truck ( don’t ask me how I know). The shocks ca only be installed in proper location but shocks have nothing to do with ride height

Old 03-27-2018, 01:42 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Hi ls1morethanyou, long time no see/hear, how is Dusty1 these days? Give him my best regards if you see him.

If you have a D2 the front shocks are far different to the rears, no chance of a mix up. The springs could be your problem or also it depends whether you still have the rear ride height sensors connected. Calculating spring rates and shock compression and rebound is a 'fine' art and I've got it wrong a few times with motor racing. It also depends on imposed loads front and rear ends and shock travel distances. I could do with more data to help you out.
I talked with Dusty late last year, he was doing well.

Ill do some measuring but it seems the consensus is i have them on correct(the PN i pulled seems to fall inline with the front shocks)
So ill either get new springs or buy spacers.

Ill try to remove the front and rear swaybars to see if that helps out any as well.
Originally Posted by LR03NJ
Do you still see markings, tags or stickers on the spring as reference? Unless is out and measure them. Each time I install, I just read the tags and never paid attention which is longer or thicker. Cheers
The markings that i see are TF 05 i do not see anything else on that spring but i have also not checked the other side, i am assuming they are TF 052

Originally Posted by Billfromthehill
The front spring usually have even spaced coil wrappings, the rear are usually progressive and have tighter windings towards the end. They can easily be installed on the wrong end resulting in a much higher front of the truck ( don’t ask me how I know). The shocks ca only be installed in proper location but shocks have nothing to do with ride height
Ill take a closer look at that when i get home, Thanks!