Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sai delete questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 10:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts
Default Sai delete questions

What all do I need to remove the sai system from my 01 and have no trouble codes. I have a couple parts trucks without sai to rob from

Old 01-04-2018, 12:40 PM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

I believe at the very least it would require the non-SAI heads, the ECU, and the fuel pump/tank pressure assembly along with removal of all the SAI components.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:06 PM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

If you swap the ecu in the D2, doesn't the odometer flash continuously??
(maybe the bcu)
I don't know, I'm asking, as I recall reading that somewhere.

I know that you Can use the sai heads, just block where the pipes thread in.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

I was planning on getting the non sai heads rebuilt and ready for when my head gaskets eventually go. I’ll pull whatever else I need and get everything ready. Other than cleaning up the engine bay and making everything easier to work on, is there any other benefits to removing it?

Old 01-04-2018, 06:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

I deleted mine. There are two bonuses. Firstly, less stuff to break. Secondly, SO much easier to work on everything.

I just removed mine and taped over my check engine light, checking codes semi-regularly. It's pretty straight forward to remove. You get to get rid of all the vacuum lines other than to the brake booster, there's a couple electronic pieces you get to remove, you get rid of the SAI pump, you can even use the same heads (I did) by welding up the SAI plugs that thread into the heads.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:45 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,278 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
I deleted mine. There are two bonuses. Firstly, less stuff to break. Secondly, SO much easier to work on everything.

I just removed mine and taped over my check engine light, checking codes semi-regularly. It's pretty straight forward to remove. You get to get rid of all the vacuum lines other than to the brake booster, there's a couple electronic pieces you get to remove, you get rid of the SAI pump, you can even use the same heads (I did) by welding up the SAI plugs that thread into the heads.
This^^^^

Did the same, removed crappy SAI system from my 01 (welded SAI caps on fittings in heads) and disabled 03 (plugged SAI tubes with welded flat washers under SAI tubing caps), but left everything in place. Then removed dash and covered SES light on both. Check the codes periodically, and repair or clear whatever does or does not need done.

To do it correctly, I believe, you need to change the ECU, BCU or reprogram your original ECU and BCU. If you use your keyless remote, this will need to be dealt with also (if you change the ECU/BCU). Or you will need the remotes from swapping vehicle.

Brian.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:36 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Why do y'all wanna do this? I like the jet engine sound it makes..

The following users liked this post:
piperff (06-22-2020)
Old 01-06-2018, 08:42 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Will you be able to pass state inspections without it? Any emission related codes once its out? Thanks

Old 01-12-2020, 09:11 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SAI Delete

Has there been resolution to this being done properly? What all is involved. The heads were already swapped before I bought the truck but the check engine light remains and I have to pass emissions. Codes said open circuit for SAI (previous owner unplugged and removed pump)... 😒

Old 01-12-2020, 10:53 AM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

If you have to pass emissions, you're probably SOL. The VIN for your vehicle tells the testing equipment that your truck has SAI. If there's a mismatch between the VIN and the vehicle, you're not going to pass inspection.

Quick Reply: Sai delete questions