Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Same trans issue different trans

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 07:06 AM
RBS
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the torque converter bolts in? Yes Sir
2) Did the torque converter spin freely when bell housing was bolted up, no binding and you were able to spin torque converter easily to align bolt holes? Yes Sir
3) Is trans full of fluid, roughly 5.5/6 quarts on refill.
4) Do you have any green M or S flashing on dash or check engine light illuminating? (Which, even with these...you should still have "limp-mode" = vehicle starts out in third gear and you'd have reverse). No Sir but I bet I will see them soon enough
5) Did you do a filter change and possibly pinch/forget o-ring(s). Yes Sir, changed filter and will check o rings again soon. I replace o rings on hard lines to the trans as well.

Old 12-28-2020, 09:58 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,278 Likes on 897 Posts

If there was an electrical issue with trans, you should have seen a check engine light or M/S by now. My 01 produced lights immediately (orange plug/terminal pushed out of plug socket while installing) and 03 immediately after engine install (mouse chewed wiring to trans where they run through tunnel/consule). Both were in limp mode from the get-go and lights stayed on until repairs were found/repaired.

Just seems absolutely the weirdest thing, to have the same trans issues with each trans...and transfer case.

Curious, did the fluid look good in each new trans? And how did the original trans go out, immediately or over a period of time?

Old 12-28-2020, 01:55 PM
RBS
Three Wheeling

I got the vehicle in this same state, I bought it originally as a parts truck but the frame is perfect and the motor runs great even at 300,500 miles. I first removed the trans and T/C and the T/C was for sure done missing teeth on many gears. So I assumed that was the issue attached a good T/C figuring that was the issue, but when I installed them I got no movement. So out they came, when I took the valve body apart many passages were clogged. So I am now using the good transfer case and a supposed good transmission both from 04's different 04's. I checked the pump on the first trans and it was pumping and this one is not. So I think it will be taking them out again and replacing the pump and back in. That's the only issue I can find. I do have a check engine light because of the missing Cats someone borrowed and never returned and the sensor in the back of the valve body.

Old 12-28-2020, 06:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,278 Likes on 897 Posts

Okay, so you've had different issues with each install. That makes more sense...or at least says...it's not one common issue. You've just been unlucky.

Old 12-29-2020, 11:02 AM
RBS
Three Wheeling

Yes Sir. The only commonality is that it will not positivly catch a gear and move. I guess today j will weld up a tow bar and drag it from where it sits.