Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scanguage Owners - What's your Water Temp?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 12:53 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Scanguage Owners - What's your Water Temp?

I know a few of you are running ScanGauges in your truck. What water temps are you seeing on your discos? Vehicle type, year and miles please!

Mine usually reads 198 degrees at highway speeds, 200 with the AC on.
In hills and at lower speeds, I'm seeing 204-207 or so.
Highest recorded was 215, this summer, after running a while and then sitting in traffic. Scary?

99 DII, 107k

Are these normal? The rover gauge never gets off the middle. In fact it hits the middle of the gauge at 140 and i've never seen it rise past that, even when the scan gauge showed 215.

If you don't have a scanguage, I would definitely recommend it, as it provides error codes and numerical readout of things like voltage, water temp, intake air temp. Warning the cost per mile and gallons per hour readouts are depressing.

I updated my temps with some info from tonight.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Scanguage Owners - What's your Water Temp?

I haven't set mine for water temp, but tomorrow when I drive to camp and surf in Santa Cruz, I'll set one of the gauges to water temp. It's a good hour and a half drive, and get to go through the Santa Cruz mountains so I should get some good readings for ya. My temp gauge never goes above the mid point either. I'll be home on Sunday.

'01 D2, 88K

Old 11-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I dont have one, yet, it is on my must buy list.
215 is not a high temp, nothing to worry about until you hit 225, 230 shut it down. 250 your engine is toast.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Well, I was gonna get one, but it seems to me that per your post, it creates more worries than anything. And we all know that owning a Land Rover keeps an owner enough on its toes enoughas it is without adding to that.

I'm getting ready for a 16 hour drive over the week-end and honestly don't want to see where the temp will be during that trip. So the dash gauge is enough to keep me relaxed.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:58 PM
Mudding

Thanks Spike.

Looking forward to your readings Disco2Guy, and I hope you get some waves. It's foggy and flat down here right now.

Darover, I'd recommend one. The error codes are reason enough, if you get stuck someplace without an autoshop you can call out for advice and maybe parts. I've cleared codes for a friend who ran his out of gas, turned the CE light right off. Also, i've never trusted panel gauges. Sending units fail all the time and you might not get a second chance after overheating your truck.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:40 PM
Rock Crawling

My temps are the same as yours.

My Rover runs 200 + or - 10 degrees. The temps go up when the RPM's are low, probably from less coolant flow. Going down hills in gear drops it below 190. My factory gauge goes to the middle at around 155 degrees and doesn't move after that.

I've never had over 209 degrees. The factory coolant mix would boil over around 265 degrees. Most car engines run their best when the coolant is at or near 212 degrees.

Cheers,

Pete

Old 11-21-2008, 03:24 AM
Recovery Vehicle

ORIGINAL: rrhyne

Looking forward to your readings Disco2Guy, and I hope you get some waves. It's foggy and flat down here right now.
Yeah, there's a big swell (6' -2' overhead) coming in right now. It's been 0-2' all week here too.