Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scanner and CEL questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 12:01 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scanner and CEL questions

I have a 96 disco. I went by Autozone today and asked if they would scan for any codes. The guy hooked up his scanner and it got an error when trying to connect to my truck. Now I am all worried that something is wrong. I dont have any lights currently on, just thought I would have them check for codes while I was there.

Questions - How do you know if your CEL and Service Engine lights are working properly? They all turn on for a few seconds and then cut off when I first start the engine. Is this enough to consider that they are working properly and have not been tampered with? Also, do you think that getting an error to communicate message from the attempted scan at Autozone should be something to worry about? I plan to take it somewhere else soon. I guess I am just worried that I may have some issue with the connector or system that is causing it to not communicate.

Maybe its as simple as their scanner was not compatible with my Disco.

Jason

Old 08-05-2009, 09:16 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

If your lights come on with the key in the 2nd position when starting, you are fine, he must have just cleared the code. By the way what was the code??

Old 08-05-2009, 10:04 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

With some scanners you need to have your truck running or else you get an error code. I believe this may be specific to the Disco ODBII interface. I have a simple scanner and it will only read from my Disco when the engine is running. My parents cars it will read their code with the key turned on but without the engine actually running.

Also why are you worried about your CEL light not working?

Old 08-05-2009, 10:20 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

All base model scanners just need to have the key in the 2nd position, with the more expensive scanners if you want them to do their more special scans, the engine must be on.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:24 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As I understand it, the light wasn't on to begin with and the truck was running fine, right?

So, the way I see it, you've just grown so accustomed to things being wrong that when everything's working right you start to freak out?

LOL

Just exaggerating things a bit in an attempt at humor, but sometimes it does seem like that with these trucks!

Old 08-06-2009, 12:55 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Disco_Fever is right. The light wasnt on. I just wanted to see if it pulled anything. Truck runs pretty good. The engine stumbles at idle from time to time but thats about it. I am changing plugs and wires this weekend so I am hoping this helps. My MPG is also very low. We will see... I have only had my Disco for about a month. I love it already. I am trying to get through the 60k list as I can. I also have a few oil leaks I am trying to sort out. I have been bit by the bug. The other night I asked my wife if she wanted to go out and just cruise around just to be out in my Disco. I hope this is not a disease