Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scary indicator issue.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 04:11 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scary indicator issue.

Having an issue with my indicators. Switching right, all works as it should. Switching left the relay click rapidly (4-6 times) within a second then dies out. Also the left indicator light blinks once the goes dark. Any suggestions? Fuses are good. Tried switching the relays, but still same problem on the left side.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:02 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

Have you tried cleaning the turn signal switch on the steering column? They get dirty and cause intermittent issues usually with the windshield wipers stopping. Electrical contact cleaner.

All the bulbs are good?

Old 06-10-2018, 05:20 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Dave03S
Have you tried cleaning the turn signal switch on the steering column? They get dirty and cause intermittent issues usually with the windshield wipers stopping. Electrical contact cleaner.

All the bulbs are good?
i havent checked the turn signal switch yet. Is it still possible it can be the problem? The left indicator light in the dash does come on for a spilt second. The wipers work as they should. Bulbs are good. With the hazzards on there still is no light on the left side.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:34 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Have you done anything lately?
Changed a bulb, added LED's, wired in something?

Old 06-26-2018, 02:46 PM
4wd Low
Default .

Ok, to manswer some questions.
no, i have not done any kind of modifications to the lights.
still havent checked the stalk.

but i hsve tried replacing the fuse box with another one. Still same problem.
i will check the stalk tomorrow, but dont really think that is the problem since power is transmited to the relay.
i will also try checking the bulbs other than turn signals. Noticed one of my brake lights arent working.

Old 06-26-2018, 03:24 PM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

If you end up needing a stalk/switch assembly, I have one.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:59 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

I second the stalk switch. It seems there is more current going through it then should be, common failure point.

Old 06-26-2018, 11:05 PM
Mudding

I had to research this with my wiper stalk. The problem is/was that they used some weird grease to protect the circuits in the stalks. This usually only occurs when it's cold and the grease becomes a gel which causes a malfunction. Some one posted a fix in here somewhere (look for windshield wiper fix). You basically take it apart and clean it and add a more modern version of the electrical grease. I took the easy way out and found a wiper stalk on Ebay that had already been done and haven't had an issue... yet lol. If you do take it apart, there are a couple things. You don't have to take the steering wheel off... turn it hard to one side and you should be able to get it. When you actually take it apart ( I did the one I took off just to have a spare) do it inside with a towel underneath and in a well lit area... pieces parts and springs will come at you if you aren't careful and if you lose them you're up the creek.

Last edited by mudpuppy229; 06-26-2018 at 11:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-02-2018, 04:05 PM
4wd Low

ok, just to clear this up first; Im scared to take the stalk apart in case i mess it up.. so i have ordered one on eBay. Should be here next week. BUT i discovered something wierd in the stalk wiring. There is a box in there with two wires cut off. Any of you have any idea What this is? Also the green wire goes up to the stalk wiring.

Old 07-02-2018, 04:13 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Box looks aftermarket

Quick Reply: Scary indicator issue.