Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scary loose steering and shimmying between 30-40mph

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scary loose steering and shimmying between 30-40mph

My 02 disco II is doing some major acting up. Steering is extremely loose, and is almost out of control when driving on a rutted road (uneven pavement from 18 wheelers). It now has a shimmy when going between 30-40 MPH. Checked tire rod ends, ball joints and panhard rod bushings. From what I see, there is no play in any of that and all seems tight. Any ideas what might be going wrong? Any help would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Old 07-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

What about the power steering pump and hoses?

Old 07-05-2011, 07:41 PM
Drifting

Seems I do have a minor power steering leak. Minor meaning I had to add a tiny bit and it's still holding at the same max line.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

these are ultra sensitive to out of balance tires and off alignments... i had a BAD shutter from 50-55ish that would shake the whole car and felt like the wheel was going to rattle off haha... all it was was wheel balance.

there is another issue though, check your 4x4 axles, particularly the front prop shaft, the ujoints dry up, start eating through and eventually, pop! new tranny, xfercase and shaft possible catch it early and ull be fine.

if ur handly you can lock your xfer case, remove the usually troublesome shaft and run in rear wheel drive and see if that effects it, otherwise just look for worn metal bits around where the arms of the ujoints seat around the locking clips.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:08 PM
Mudding

I would say tires out of balance. Try putting the back tires on the front axle.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:09 PM
Drifting

Would the out of balance and off alignment cause the steering to be extremely loose? It feels like a death trap. Certain parts of the road, I almost have no control of the steering. I'm sure I look like a drunk driver to the cars behind me. Ugh.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the same feeling, kinda tracks almost a half or car length at times it feels, swervin all over followin the rutts in the road? id get the alignment checked and do a wheel balance... they are fussy animals. i had both done and havent had the problem since, drives like its on rails now... it was bad to the point that i really didnt feel comfortable driving on highways at all because it got to the point where i coudlnt be sure i woudlnt side swipe someone passing them if the lanes where to narrow... i drive pretty damn tight sometimes haha it takes alot to get my nerves goin like that! i assume its so sensitive because of the perminant awd, most cars with bad alignments simple pull thier tires through the extra drag, while these are actually TRYING to pull in the drag direction with engine torque to back em!

Last edited by grandkodiak; 07-05-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Drifting

Will take it first thing in the morning to have the alignment and balance checked. You are describing my situation to a T. I did read somewhere about a swivel pin...does that throw up any red flags to you?

Old 07-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Drifting

By the way, thank you all so much for your replies. Trying to avoid draining my savings on this vehicle. Haha

Old 07-05-2011, 09:06 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just a question.....do you feel and play or dead spot in your steering? Because what you are describing could be a loose steering box, which you can adjust for free (the best kind of fix).

What I'm talking about would be best found when sitting still. If you can move the wheel without significant restriction a few inches in either direction, I'd get under the truck while someone moves it in that loose spot. If nothing else under the front end is moving, chances are your box is just loose. Hopefully not so loose that you can't adjust it out.

Quick Reply: Scary loose steering and shimmying between 30-40mph